Brown Hyena in Kruger

Information and Discussion on the Fauna and Flora of the Kruger Park
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Brown Hyena in Kruger

Post by Richprins »

I trust your judgement, cheets! ;-)

If for a good cause, especially! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Toko it is a recent pic \O
I got it from John Adamson, head ranger at Olifants. Robert Spaan took the pic and sent it to his colleagues at the time. \O
I am trying to get in contact with Robert to find out all the details including date and time. Hopefully soon we will have the entire story 0()

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

O/\ O/\ O/\ \O

norms

Post by norms »

Fantastic sighting and evidence - WOW!!! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Would be great to see more of them in Kruger - \O

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave
cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Hi James,

On the morning of the 2nd of December 2010 at approximately 05:38 while tracking buffalo to recapture myself, my wife and the vet working with us spotted this Brown Hyena streak over the road. It ran behind a stand of knobthorns but I managed to get off a quick shot of poor quality as it stopped for a second and turned and looked back. It then took off for to the east. I’ve deleted the emails I sent to scientific services with exact GPS coordinates but I can tell you that the siting took place on the Lindanda Rd about a kilometer or two before junction with the Trichardt Road. I reported the incident to the section ranger of Tshokwane (Mr. Steven Whitfield) and scientific services (Nick Zimbatis who agreed with the identification and passed it on to Gus Mills who also agreed with the identification). They may also still have the GPS coordinates if you require them. I also spent a fair amount of time observing brown hyena in the Waterberg while working there and can tell the difference between a brown hyena and an aardwolf which is often other people’s argument.
\O \O

The rest of the email contains his working background as a ranger and who he worked with (an extensive list I don't think is necessary to post here).
The email also contains other contacts I can ask about Brown Hyenas in Kruger :-)

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

\O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Great stuff \O \O

It’s a pity that the pic wasn’t taken while you were doing the fund raiser, but still awesome proof of a BH in KNP O/\ O/\

nan

Post by nan »

O/\ Brown Hyena in Kruger, that is a fantastic new ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Posted on FB today by Craig Young:
Well, as a guide I have been cursed to never have a nicer sighting! Last night we managed to pick up a brown hyena near Sable Dam here in the Phalaborwa area. This is the second confirmed sighting by a guide on a night drive in the same area in two months. It darted off far too quickly for a picture but for those few brief seconds it was visible you could see it clearly. Great news and definitely will be checking out that area again.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The brownies in KNP seem to be quite skittish... Or maybe it's only a single one anyways (which I don't think).

Great news anyways. Time for guest to see and report sightings. :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Fauna and Flora of Kruger Park”