Chasing birds & enjoying the beauty of the Scot. Highlands*

Tell us about your interesting Wildlife Experiences
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Chasing birds & enjoying the beauty of the Scot. Highlan

Post by Mel »

From Scourie we made it towards south again. Travel guides recommend not to take the main road (A894) to Ullapool but to detour on the B869 via Drumbeg. I had been on that road before and remembered it being absolute spectacular. It still was. Particularly the driving. A single track road partly with steep slopes next to it and lots of blind summits… No photos from that leg though. I got better ones somewhere… If I just knew where…

Our drive brought us through Ullapool and further down towards the Isle of Skye. We had decided to stay in Plockton for the night. An absolutely gorgeous little village with a view on Loch Carron. But alas, the weather wasn’t playing along and the tide was low so it didn’t look quite the way I remembered it:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Somewhere along the way I had taken yet another photo of yet another ruin in yet another loch:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The next morning we were finally due for the Isle of Skye.

The sun was shining again and made for a beautiful landscape.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It looks almost magical!! \O \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We arrived at Portree at around eleven and bagged a bed for the night first thing before heading out again. I can highly recommend the Caledonian Hotel. If you’re travelling on budget they allow you to skip breakfast which makes the room cheaper. Plus, the reception lady was a fountain of knowledge and absolutely delightful. Soon we were kitted out with the most important things to do on the Skye.

We set off to explore the Trotternish Peninsula. As told by our landlady we took a shortcut on the road and ended up with spectacular views at the Quiraing:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Kilt Rock at Staffin Bay.
Usually you would also be able to see Mealts Falls there, but due to a very dry summer, the falls were only a trickle and could hardly be made out.

Further down on our way back to Portree we had wanted to get out and walk up to the Old Man of Storr. That plan was abruptly dismissed when we saw the masses of cars parked in the car park and along the road. Hence just a pic from the distance:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Thanks Flutts, Lis, nan and RP for dropping in again! 0/0

Next stop was Dunvegan Castle. K had wanted to visit it properly but declared defeat when she found out how much it would set her travel kitty back. Instead we ventured past the castle to see it from the back:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

By 4pm we were back in Portree waiting at the harbour for our boat trip to find dolphins, whales, sharks and eagles.

What we got was harbour seals:

And pretty views.

Although only I was able to tick off two things from my wish list (to follow later), the ride was really enjoyable. We had the boat and our guide all to ourselves and despite his strong Scottish accent he did all he could possibly do to satisfy our enquiries!

Overnight the weather had changed for the worse and was meant to stay like that for the rest of our time in Scotland. It was very wet with short intervals of dry conditions. Temps were accordingly and occasionally didn’t surpass 11°C at a max. Brrr!

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Yes, Flutts... 13°C!!! =O:

Our first stop was the distillery of Talisker where we learned all about how one of my favourite whiskys is made. We even got a voucher for a taster but not for me on an empty stomach when you are the designated driver. And K doesn’t even like whisky. 0*\

How to make whisky in a nutshell:

During the guided tour we learned that the production at Talisker had been halved because of the lack of rain that resulted in less spring water which is needed for their whisky.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Our next stop that day was the famous Eilean Donan Castle:

Later in the day we passed Loch Linnhe with Castle Stalker:

Return to “Tales of Wildlife Experiences & Animal Behaviour”