Sigma 150-500mm Lens

Discuss the technical side of photography
Flutterby

Sigma 150-500mm Lens

Post by Flutterby »

Had great fun using my new lens for the first time today. :D Who else has this lens? Any advice on how to get the best results?

My 75-300mm Canon lens doesn't have image stabilising so I love the fact that this Sigma lens has it!!! O/\ I took all these pics handheld and the bird ones were on full zoom. Still need to do a lot of practising but not bad for my first attempt, I think! ;-)

Grumpy

Re: Sigma 150-500mm Lens

Post by Grumpy »

Lucky lucky you... nice acquisition. Now all you need is a week at a game lodge somewhere so you can go out a perfect your technique and prove that the pictures you get made the acquisition worthwhile.

Two comments: Firstly, the first photo seems to have a bit of lens-flare, so just make sure that you use your lens hood whenever there may be chance of this happening. Any pointing of your lens more than 90 degrees towards the sun could cause this to happen. Secondly, you did not identify the birds in your first photo... why are you so lucky to have a breeding pair of these in your garden? Now you have the means AND the opportunity to capture this bird that many people still have on their wish-list... Nice. a few more pictures please.

Take care O/\

Just be kind - always
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Lovely flutts... O0

Love your framed flowers ... \O

and the feather and feather flower ( -O )

Wishing you lots of fun with your new lens.. ^Q^

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Nice Fluts. \O

Looks like you are going to have some serious fun with this lens. [O]

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Flutters your shots are looking good! \O The Brats lessons are paying off I see. O**

One tip, I am not sure if it is the same as the 170-500, but check the mounting plate that connects to the camera. There are three small screws that hold it in place, over time they tend to come loose. Just check and tighten them if you notice this, if you wait too long the camera can't make contact with the lens and it stops working. ;-)

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

Sound avise Sprocks.

Slowveld kid has the same lens Fluts.
You could contact him.

Great shots for a first try.

\O \O \O

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Tx Amoli, Dew & PN! \O
Grumpy wrote:Two comments: Firstly, the first photo seems to have a bit of lens-flare, so just make sure that you use your lens hood whenever there may be chance of this happening. Any pointing of your lens more than 90 degrees towards the sun could cause this to happen. Secondly, you did not identify the birds in your first photo... why are you so lucky to have a breeding pair of these in your garden? Now you have the means AND the opportunity to capture this bird that many people still have on their wish-list... Nice. a few more pictures please.

Take care O/\
Tx for your comments Grumps. ;-) I did have the lens hood on so not sure what I did there...definitely more practice needed! Those are African Olive Pigeons (aka Rameron Pigeons). They aren't in our garden, but near the river across the road...lovely aren't they! \O
Sprocky wrote:Flutters your shots are looking good! \O The Brats lessons are paying off I see. O**

One tip, I am not sure if it is the same as the 170-500, but check the mounting plate that connects to the camera. There are three small screws that hold it in place, over time they tend to come loose. Just check and tighten them if you notice this, if you wait too long the camera can't make contact with the lens and it stops working. ;-)
Sprocks, the Brat was very patient with me, explaining all the ins and outs of my new lens! =O:

Tx for the advice regarding the mounting plate! \O

harrys

Post by harrys »

wow Flutts now that is a lense I would like to have \O \O .....one day I hope -O-

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Flutts,

I have the Sigma 50-500. It is very heavy.
Not sure about the 150-500. Try and be careful, as I have ruined many photo with camera shake.
But it is difficult in a car. Easier to rest it on your side. But when taking a photo on the other side of the car, you will probably be holding it, and that's when problems happen.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Tx Dzombo...it's a lot heavier than my 75-300 but seems to be manageable. \O

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”