Using Heavy Camera Equipment

Discuss the technical side of photography
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Scenic Mt Zebra Park

Post by Richprins »

Fancy! :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 am Fancy! :shock:
..its just a tool filled with dried beans to keep the rig rock steady...works great at Lake Panic , Sable Dam , Shipandane and Punda Maria Camp :-) :-)
Last edited by Peter Betts on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Do you buy it like that? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am Do you buy it like that? -O-
It normally comes with ultra light Polystyrine balls and it will fly off the window sill at speeds greater than 5 kmh so I took all that out and filled it with much heavier dried beans (Often had lions interested and they sniff it from time to time while I get to smell their breath ..too heavy and too late to move :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, someone had a lion run off with their bean bag in Kruger once...can't remember where that story is! lol

okie

Post by okie »

Peter Betts wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am
Richprins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 am Fancy! :shock:
..its just a tool filled with dried beans to keep the rig rock steady...works great at Lake Panic , Sable Dam , Shipandane and Punda Maria Camp :-) :-)
My bean bags are actually mielie bags ,home-made by using old , torn-off sleeves from old overalls , filled with mielies , and tied off at both ends lol

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Emergency rations too! :-0

okie

Post by okie »

Peter Betts wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm ...I also do all the driving and photographing ..My camera and 2 lenses are placed ready on the passenger seat next to me and my wife prefers the back seat so she can get to both sides at a sighting ..Try that it speeds up the work flow at a sighting..Bean bag is always on the window sill in a drive ..ready for action
I drive a Landy Defender , and my SO , Okiedokie sits in the front passenger seat , sleeping until I sight something . She does not like sleeping in the back-seat , especially since she would have to then share it with the picnic basket , coolbox and other stuff :O^

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Richprins wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 am Ja, someone had a lion run off with their bean bag in Kruger once...can't remember where that story is! lol
I've lost a beanbag in Kruger...I also used to leave it on the window and then saw it had disappeared!! :O^

The Brat knocked his out of the car while we were watching a leopard so we left it behind to follow the leopard and then went back to fetch it when the leopard had gone. lol

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Peter Betts wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:11 pm Yip you never take a pic with the engine running ..In fact all vehicles must have engines off at a sighting so as not to spoil it for others and avoid pumping carbon monoxide all over the wildlife
I do switch the engine off.
And my "bean bag" is a rolled up jersey. Find that works well.
My main problem is when the animal/bird is not on my side.
okie wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 am
I drive a Landy Defender , and my SO , Okiedokie sits in the front passenger seat , sleeping until I sight something . She does not like sleeping in the back-seat , especially since she would have to then share it with the picnic basket , coolbox and other stuff :O^
I have a similar setup.
SO in the front.
Kidletts and other stuff on the back seat.
Sometimes I put the camera on my lap when I drive. Not too difficult with an automatic.

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”