Video help for a newbie

Discuss the technical side of photography
trailrunner

Video help for a newbie

Post by trailrunner »

So here's the thing. I currently have a pretty good DSLR setup with a Canon 7D, 450D, 70 - 200mm Zoom, and 300mm lenses with a few other smaller primes and general zooms so feel relatively sorted for our trip to Kruger in three weeks. I am a serious amateur photographer with what I would term an intermediate knowledge of photography and learning all the time [O] .

I would like to have a mid range video camera that I and the missus could use in conjunction with the still camera's, question is what do I buy :-? :-? ?

Budget would be up to about the R5K, R6K mark max, I haven't shot any film on a video in many years and played briefly with the video function on my 7D but that is pretty much dedicated to stills.

So things to consider would be obviously budget, ease of use and decent zoom really not clued up here -O-
Fnally whether it would be wise to try to get a slightly better specked used camera and if so what do I look out for :X: ?

Any advice here would be much appreciated :ty: .

If you know not of your past and know not of your present, you cannot predict your future and will be like a cabbage in a society.
Flutterby

Re: Video help for a newbie

Post by Flutterby »

Hi TR,

I can't give you much advice on this topic. We use my son's old Canon SX 30is as a video camera which is adequate for our needs, but I'm sure you will get some good advice here. ;-)

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

trailrunner why don't you use the 7D as a video camera as well, as far as I know you can take video's and shoot stills at the same time by pushing the shutter button. Just check what the manual says -O-

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
nan

Post by nan »

idem like Bushveld Jock \O
and I'm very satisfied with that

we have to take so much 0*\ ... enough with 2 "bodies" (camera's body... of course =O: )

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
trailrunner

Post by trailrunner »

Thanks Bushveld and nan

You have a point regarding the 7D ..0.. its just that I kind of see that as my dedicated still cam and in theory anything that I am going to shoot in vid I probably want to capture a few still images of as well.

I saw the video camera being there for my SO to use as a compliment to the stills thus the idea of a just a cheapish camera.

I would be happy to buy something for around the R3 - R5K mark and see many of these available it's just that it's not really my bag and want to avoid buying something that may be inferior or inappropriate for wildlife and regretting it later 0*\
:ty: .

If you know not of your past and know not of your present, you cannot predict your future and will be like a cabbage in a society.
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

If you really want a video Camera why don.t you look at a digital compact camera such as Fuji, Canon or Nikon, you get some great one's with a good video application and also a good optical zoom, Me I would stick to the 7D and shoot still and video at the same time :-)

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
trailrunner

Post by trailrunner »

Thanks PRWIN I will look into the compact thing ..0..
Just very difficult for me to multitask at the best of times 0*\ and when I have to think of getting the shot, conditions, composition, speed, exposure etc, and then then fiddle with a video, -O- :no: :no: :no: don't think so -O-

nan

Post by nan »

but we have only 2 hands --00-- =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
trailrunner

Post by trailrunner »

nan wrote:but we have only 2 hands --00-- =O:
-O- Exactly, but I kind of see my SO manning/ladying the vid [O]

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

As I said before, we use a Canon Powershot SX30is which is a bridge camera with an amazingly powerful zoom. It's really easy to use, you can take stills while in video mode by pressing the shutter release button, and delivers great quality. \O

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”