Browns in Kruger July 2016

Bushcraft

Browns in Kruger July 2016

Post by Bushcraft »

Hey Guys,

It’s time to start our July 2016 TT.

Things are rather busy at work, so this will be one of those fast paced hamster type reports.

This was the 1st trip to KNP this year for Bushcraft, The Cow, Hawkeyes, Bushpig and Albert, which is primarily due to the cost of visiting Kruger nowadays. Also I hit a major speed wobble while in KNP in October 2015 and I really thought at the time that I would never see the place again, so admittedly I haven’t been hundreds since and those thoughts were still fresh in my mind.

As it was the July school holidays we battled for accommodation as per normal, but eventually managed to put something together.

The trip ended up as below:

6th Skukuza
7th and 8th Satara
9th, 10th, 11th and 12th Skukuza
13th and 14th Lower Sabie

The park was busier in the south than we have ever seen which could only be due to the inflated gate quotas and even the normal “escape from the crowd” roads were choked at times, so we ducked a few “sightings” and just continued on.

We had a meet planned with RP which is always good fun and happened to link up with another cool wildie who had changed his booking to Lower Sabie.

There were no medical issues this trip which was a nice change and the stomach even played the game, so there were no emergency “toilet” episodes which had become a part of our Kruger trips. I did however have to “pull a RP” once, much to the horror and embarrassment of the rats, while on an afternoon drive.

The weather was weird as we arrived to 27 degrees, but then a massive cold front came through and our maximum temperature for the next 5 days was 21 degrees which is artic conditions for KZN locals.

I’m going to omit all rhino sightings as most routes are obvious and if a make a major balls up with the birds then please step in and help with the correct ID.

In summary, the trip was fairly good sighting wise, however we never found dogs, but I know they den in July, so one has to be very lucky to see them and there were the normal ups and downs in mood; however I did notice a marked difference in how much the teenage rats enjoyed it which was cool, so I hope all ride the wave, hang around during the boring times and still enjoy the TT.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger July 2016

Post by Bushcraft »

6th Home to Skukuza

We decided to duck our normal Jozini Dam stopover to save some money and drove straight through, so arrived much later than normal in Komatipoort, hence all were under pressure to get the shopping over with.

We arrived at Croc Bridge gate at around 1:30pm and were organized with our gate entry form filled in already, but didn’t realize that the gates were closed so drove up to them, but soon got told to go and park as we now had to go to reception.

I’m a neurotic perfectionist so I was immediately pissed off.

“I have to now reverse all the way back to the car park!”

Other cars were also coming in and parking behind me, so frustration increased.

“Why don’t they put up a sign, beacons in front of the booths, co-ordinate people as they drive in, etc, etc!”

There were 3 staff sitting in reception capturing visitors and I couldn’t understand the reasoning because the same 3 could sit in the 3 booths also and then there would be no need for people to have to park and walk to reception, but I forced some slow breathing and patience for the sake of peace.

Eventually we were in the park and the first stop was Vurhami Bridge for the locals.

Time was ticking and our first night was at Skukuza, so we stopped briefly a few times and only switched the car off once arriving at the H10 Bridge locals.

Sunset Dam is always worth a stop, a shy Grey Heron refused to pose for the Cow and then a few more new individuals popped up.

I knew that a leopard had been seen fairly regularly on the S79 causeway, so I started chirping all to be on the lookout, but the clan just checked me out as if I was mad, but soon changed their tune when I squealed “Leopard!”

It was now nearly 3pm and I couldn’t believe that there was nobody parking off with this leopard as the H4-1 was busy, so positioned the car and switched off.

A few minutes later the leopard started chirping and it was awesome as the Cow got it all on video.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

6th Home to Skukuza Continued

After around 15 minutes and a few more calling episodes from the leopard it got up, which set me off again, but it soon settled, so we waited for another car to arrive to help them out and then moved on.

Next up was a boon perched in a tree, our first lioness and Bateleur of the trip and then a male lion having a snooze in the riverbed just outside Skukuza.

I was amazed that we got the BG3E units we asked for because we were only staying 1 night, so it must have been a mission to juggle things around and make it possible. Thanks Skukuza staff.

It was already late by the time we finished unpacking and it had been a long day, so I started an early braai, but found myself immediately looking for a beer, however it hadn’t been on the menu for a long time and I had to save the stomach for the “RP evening”, therefore I was edgy and battled to sit still, however a vaporiser head rush and the burning wood soon distracted me, so a slower gear was engaged.

As it got dark the bush babies started their shrieking which always sets the rats off, however only on the first night in Skukuza and then it becomes part of the norm, so I was dragged off on the first torch hunt which ended in failure.

Eventually my overexcited first night wood fire had decreased so a manageable size and the chow went on.

I’m not sure what Komatipoort chicken are fed on but I learnt this trip that they smell different when cooking and definitely taste different, so my nose was touching my chin, however much to my surprise the teenager, Hawkeyes, was also outside jabbering away so when she suddenly went instantly quiet and developed that “I want to scream but don’t want to make my name face”, I quickly turned around just in time to see a bush baby jump in the tree right behind me.

“Dad! Dad! It ran along the floor behind you!”

“Whatttt…….. It looks like Precious from Lord of Rings”

“Help!” “It’s going to jump into our unit”

I had charged off on an adrenalin rush for the camera and was battling to not trip while trying to control my laughter, however managed a pic just as “Precious” plotted a leap into our unit, which fortunately distracted it.

The “shrieking fever”, which I nearly got also while in the mix, soon faded and “Precious” parked off for a second, which allowed another pic, before bailing higher into the tree.

To be continued

PJL

Post by PJL »

What a great start to your trip... leopard of course :yes: :yes: O**
Careful or you may get a speeding ticket at this rate of writing =O: =O: \O

0()

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

As always brilliant start, Bushcraft,

and already leopard, lion and even bush baby \O \O \O :ty:

Although must say a cold front with up to 21 degrees is where I live normal summer weather O:V

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Things are rather busy at work, so this will be one of those fast paced hamster type reports.

How unusual! =O: =O: =O:

Very good pics, BC! And welcome to Lowveld Chickens inc.! :twisted:

Make the pics a bit bigger, man...you're like Supernova! 0-

What was the chirping leopard? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Nice start BC. Are you sure it was the leopard chirping and not you? -O- lol

Glad to hear that you had no major medical issues this time around. I think you all deserved a hiccup free trip this year. \O X#X

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Alf

Post by Alf »

Now the secret of the lowveld chicken O** O**

What a fast and crazy, but lucky start ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

You might not have drunk any beer for a long, long time... but you're still the too fast, too furious kinda type with your trip report lol
I can't even remember what exactly I saw, but I sure remember that leopard and that precious bushbaby :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

PJL wrote:What a great start to your trip... leopard of course :yes: :yes: O**
Careful or you may get a speeding ticket at this rate of writing =O: =O: \O

0()
Sharp PJL \O I can't go fast enough for my liking as I have to wait for the page to turn O**

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”