Swimming Pools in the Kruger Park

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Flutterby

Re: SAFETY MEASURES FOR THE USE OF SWIMMING POOLS IN THE KNP

Post by Flutterby »

Please note the correction by the ME, KNP, Mr Glenn Phillips posted below:
Glenn Phillips: Dear friends. The change in rules applies to day visitors facilities only. The press release mistakenly included camps. It will be corrected in the morning. Apologies for the concerns that this caused.
Regards
Glenn.

Alf

Post by Alf »

One person doing duty with 100 visitors in an hour won't be easy. I feel sorry for him or her. That's why it won't work to have someone on duty. Parents must behave themselves and stop acting like kids =O: =O: =O:

Then the kids won't drown 0*\

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

What if day visitors use camps pools like at Pretoriuskop and Lower Sabie? There was a drowning at Lower Sabie before of a day visitors child a year or more back and at Pretoriuskop they don't even check that day visitors do not use the braais at accommodation unit, so I wonder what control will be at camp pools. 0-

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Found out today that if you have a public pool, it needs to be enclosed and have a lifeguard, by law? A bit of a grey area regarding Kruger's being public pools, which they may or may not be.

Best to not overreact, I think? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ok, the final release looks like this (18 Dec):

Kruger National Park Management would like to inform the public about the new rules and conditions which have been put in place for the use of swimming pools inside the Park as from the 17th of December 2015. This is due to the fact that the Park does not have life savers on site to supervise swimmers and to be able to ensure the welfare of pool users, especially kids, at all times.

“We have had cases of children drowning in our pools in the past, solely because there was no parental supervision when such incidents took place. With summer season upon us and the number of people we expect during this festive season, we will strictly apply these conditions in order to minimize possible unwanted cases of tragedy from occurring in our swimming pools” said William Mabasa, KNP’s GM: Communications & Marketing.

The new rules and conditions for the use of KNP swimming pools (camp, day visitors and staff) are as follows:

Swimming pool users in the Day Visitors Areas, Camps and Staff Village must be 16 years of age and above; however the overnight visitors’ children under the age of 16 will be allowed only under parental supervision.
All users will be requested to sign an indemnity form for them to be allowed the use of the swimming pool.
All swimming pools will only open between 09:00 and 16:00.
There have been a few incidents recently wherein day visitors were found making use of the Skukuza Staff Village swimming pool, a practice which is not allowed as the pool concerned can only be used by residents of the village and their guests. Furthermore, guests of staff should be in the company of the relevant resident hosting them, when making use of the pool in the village which will operate only between 09:00 and 18:00.

We also would like to appeal to those who are above 16 years, in particular teens to ensure that they are knowledgeable about the basics of swimming before they make use of the pools. They must also behave appropriately towards others when in or around a swimming pool, and have the ability to swim; to ensure an enjoyable experience in the Park.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

So it is not just day visitor pools after all... 0*\

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

It is only day visitors. Overnight peeps kids under 16 can swim with adult supervision.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, Rob, I highlighted that, but earlier they said the whole new rule thing was day visitors... 0*\

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

I was under impression from previous under 16 for overnight needed adult supervision, which is fine by me. Want to see how they stop day visitors under 16 swimming. =O: =O:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja...and the indemnity forms...this is more about facepalming New Years' consequences, I think...will be at one of the pools that day, ironically! Let's see! 0()

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”