Kruger Camping - current rules and possible changes

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
mikef

Kruger Camping - current rules and possible changes

Post by mikef »

Although for the majority of my past visits to the Park I have stayed in the supplied accommodation (from basic huts, safari tents to most of the guest houses) I also enjoy camping. I am hoping to be in a position to do a lot more camping in the medium term and am interested in the camping developments that seem under-way.
A recent topic on the SP forum has a few interesting points - it seems Sanparks might be planning to revise some of their camping arrangements:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopi ... 67&t=84772

Another topic on the facebook group originating from what in my mind was an innocent request for help with accommodation during the busy school holidays led to a rather heated discussion and illustrates to me that many do not fully understand the camping rules (possibly myself included -O- )

It will be interesting to find out what the AW mites think about the Parks camping rules and what needs to be changed. ..0..

Toko

Re: Kruger Camping - current rules and possible changes

Post by Toko »

:-?

What is the price difference for spots with or without electricity?

mikef

Post by mikef »

Have not checked recently but used to be about R50 per night (on the stand price only - additional persons cost the same) - what I found particularly interesting was Joep's comments.
Thanks for raising the debate, Madalla and others for contributing. I support your concerns and am in agreement with broad view that a revamp of camping is necessary. This would include proper controls (some demarcation) and then better electricity supply, as was alluded to, to prevent these long cords from running through the place. Fortunately most guests are honest citizens that care about parks, but I believe that with better controls, we can ensure that the system works better for SANParks and the guests.
Although I am sure there is a lot that can be improved I would hate if all the Kruger camping became like Lower Sabie. I do not really think demarcation is the best answer - unless very carefully done like at Tsende

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Had a look, Mike, and agree that part of the fun is picking your own campsite, so don't agree with demarcation.

Camping is not a money spinner for SANParks, and will be even lower on the list regarding maintenance and what not than the bungalows. 0*\

But on the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? More power points would make it easier, but the cables speak for themselves?

Me no facebook... :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ca ... camp_id=41
R220 no electricity
R250 electricity

I like the demarcation, at Lower Sabie, Skukuza and Tsendze you see what spots are open... better control.
Otherwise some people move so close to you it is almost as they are part of your party which have happened to us before.

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
nan

Post by nan »

zar 30 more for electricity O-/
not realy just, methink 0*\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Alf

Post by Alf »

For me there are no control over the camping area, especially over peak periods. so overcrowded. Sometimes i wonder if SP even know how many camps sites are left in peak periods

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

What I hate over the peak periods is that it is fully booked but then there are 5 campsites not occupied around me... As L'm one of those unfortunate souls that can only come during peaktimes and I can't get bookings as it is 'full' but then 5-10% of the accomodation is actually available...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

mikef, the FB link doesn't work...looks the topic might have been deleted. -O-

mikef

Post by mikef »

Flutterby wrote:mikef, the FB link doesn't work...looks the topic might have been deleted. -O-
Looks like it has been deleted - not sure why other than that the group administrators considered that what the original poster wanted to do was against the Sanparks rules.

Estelle, the original poster asked if anyone who had camping space for dates in July had spare capacity on their booking and would consider adding 2 persons to such booking as they had 1 site and were now 8 people. Commentators accused her of cheating and contravening the rules - my feeling was different.

3 of my posts:
Why is everyone assuming Estelle is trying to cheat the system - she needs a booking for 8 persons and her site only allows 6 so she is asking anyone with a booked site if they would allow her to add 2 to their booking (she never indicated she is not prepared to pay for the 2 persons). I am sure if there were available sites she would do the booking herself. Sanparks rules are not being contravened as they are receiving payment for all visitors and the overall limit of 6 per site is not being exceeded. If I was in a position to help I would do so gladly.
I wonder how many of the commentators on this topic have actually camped at Satara. Camping "sites" are not demarcated or numbered as such - the ablutions are designed to cope with "x" number of campers and that together with the available space determines the number of available sites. I doubt very much that Sanparks would mind if a particular tent had 10 people sleeping and another tent 2 as long as all 12 persons had been paid for on a booking.
I suspect a lot of the criticism is based on a lack of understanding of how the current camping arrangements in most of the camps work. If I was booking for a group of twenty campers I would book 4 sites and pay for 3 sites of six campers each and 1 site of two campers. However when putting up this camp I would most likely only use the space allocated to 2 sites as that is all I would need.
Some agreed with me while others got stuck on the idea of maximum 6 per site to the extent that they thought if you were 8 persons and booked two sites you needed to sleep on 2 different sites. I was just interested in AW members opinions.

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”