Flavour of the Month - September 2014 - S1 Doispane Road (Phabeni - Skukuza) & Nyamundwa Dam

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month - September 2014 - S1 Doispane Road (Phabeni - Skukuza) & Nyamundwa Dam

Post by Richprins »

Some more recent pics typical of the eastern end of the road:

q.jpg
q1.jpg
q2.jpg

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Flavour of the Month - September 2014 - S1 Doispane Road (Phabeni - Skukuza) & Nyamundwa Dam

Post by Lisbeth »

I like the pic of the trees \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 am About the jeep jockeys...well, you are right! But sometimes the road can be eerily quiet. Also, theoretically, the jeeps come in 30 mins earlier and leave later sometimes, so one can hit an open space, especially out of season.
Not sure how much of "out of season" there is any more. Especially with a lot of foreign tourists who want to avoid the SA school holidays.
In November 2016 I got caught in a huge traffic jam of jeep jockeys on this road :twisted:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, touche! But what I mean is less people besides the Jeeps at certain times of day...clutching at straws, you know! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm Ja, touche! But what I mean is less people besides the Jeeps at certain times of day...clutching at straws, you know! :-0
Our last night was Skukuza
It was just myself and the kids on the last game drive of the morning, before going back to camp to pick up the SO who was packing up, and then head back to Melalane and Jhb.
My kids wanted to do "the road where we often see lions" ie the S1.

As we headed towards Phabeni we came across the jeep jockeys going towards Skukuza
At a hyena sighing there was total chaos. I tried to squeeze in between 2 of them just so I could get past. This one driver started yelling at me, telling me I was blocking the sighting for his clients yadda yadda yadda. So I politely said I just wanted to get past. Anyway, a few choice words were exchanged.
It just left a bad taste in my mouth on the last day. 0=

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:evil:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Why do they think that they are more important than other visitors and start shouting right away instead of starting off with some kind words, like "Do you mind.... or "Excuse me, but....." 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

You must just take a numberplate next time, Dzombs. We have a direct link to the very top of the OSV industry, and they trust what we say without question, a decade relationship. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

A leopard-python encounter!

ossendryver wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:30 pm This is an incredible series of photos taken at a sighting with a leopard fighting a python.
It was seen on the S1 near Skukuza
Photos by the Campbell-Harrise

ossendryver wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm Here is the unbelievably rare footage of a leopard fighting with a python seen this month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcYUTVnOH80

Thanks to the Campbell-Harris Family for the footage

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=1277

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
1 hour ago

08:45
4 Wild dog chased an impala into the water
S1, Nyamundwa dam
Near Phabeni gate
"Unfortunately for them (and the Impala), the hippo finish off their prize so they are off to sniff out another snack"
Tinged by @jculnane

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”