Flutterby

Re: Wildlife Related Books

Post by Flutterby »

Featherings: True Stories in Search of Birds

- Vernon R.L. Head
- 1431425796, 9781431425792

238551.jpg
238551.jpg (28.43 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

The southernmost tip of Africa is home to a vast and shifting population of birds whose soaring movements and flocks are closely followed by a human flock: the entranced and captivated ornithologists, birdwatchers and seekers of wilderness. If the bird writings of Le Vaillant turned a generation of young European readers into ornithologists this remarkable collection of birding curiosities written by some of our most intrepid bird observers will convert a new generation of South African readers. Enter gently and quietly into this world of birds and absorb these stories told by those who have been watching and listening, who can tell their bishops from their butchers. There is a story here for everyone. Contributors include Vernon Head, Mel Tripp, Peter Sullivan, Morne du Plessis, Claire Spottiswood, Raymond Rampolokeng, John Maytham, Ross Wanless, David Letsoalo, Alan Kemp, Mark Brown, Peter Sullivan, Peter Steyn, Rob Little, Peter Ryan, Richard Dean, Warwick Tarbortan, Mark Anderson, Susie Cunningham, Dave Allen, Callum Cohen and Adam Riley.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Wildlife Related Books - Non-fiction

Post by Lisbeth »

I'll have to make a list of books that I want to by when I come to SA :yes:

Do you know the price and have you read it?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The Brat bought it for my birthday, so I don't know how much it was, and I haven't had a chance to read it yet....just glance through. It looks good. :yes:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

:ty:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
okie

Re: Wildlife Related Books

Post by okie »

Flutterby wrote: Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 am A Game Ranger Remembers

- Bruce Bryden
- ISBN 9781868423156

This is a collection of stories about the life of a bushveld conservationist as it is lived at the ground level by that élite band of men and women who guard the Kruger National Park - at the cost of much sweat and, not infrequently, quite a bit of blood. Bruce Bryden's tales of 27 years in the service of our most famous park make a gripping and entertaining read, abounding with encounters with elephant, lion, buffalo, leopard and rhino, whether darting for research, managing culling operations by helicopter or stalking on foot.
In the best tradition of bushveld stories, there is a great deal of shooting, and a fair amount of running away; there are meetings with extraordinary characters among the rangers; memorable gatherings; hilarious mishaps and narrow escapes; and throughout, a great love and respect for both the wilderness and the creatures that inhabit it.
I am currently reading this book for the second time , and certainly worthwhile to do so .

At one stage he posts the question : Will I do it all over again ? And his answer to that : "Certainly not !" Especially , since he was appointed as Chief Ranger in 1983 , and have number achievements to his credit .
Such a pity , of course , but understandable he recounts , that : ....by the end of 1983 , elephant poaching virtually to a standstill , down from 180 elephants to only two per year ".
And then stating further : " All of us were later targeted by the present management system and retrenched in 2001 because 'ex-soldiers appointed for their terrorists fighting and tracking skills and a lack of conservation qualifications , had to make way for a new generation of qualified conservationists ..............but nothing can dim our achievements , the figures speak too eloquently for themselves ".

and , as we all know now , a really sad state of affairs things turned out to be :-(

Enough is enough
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

\O Yes I have read that quite recently as well and have to agree . It is a sad reflection of the downward spiral especially towards the later part of his recollections when he recounts how the standards of training the new rangers were changed to suit the candidates rather than the candidates required to raise themselves to a decent level .

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The education/training level of all the Kruger employees, from the CEO through the managers, rangers and down to the cleaning staff, tell the story quite clearly 0*\

Return to “Books & Recommended Reading”