A kinda, uhm, weird trip to KTP (Oct 2012) *

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: A kinda, uhm, weird trip to KTP (Oct 2012)

Post by Mel »

Day 11
31/10/2012 Urikaruus

The day started off with a big bang! Around 4.30 am we were woken by a commotion outside. In the moonlight I could make out a shadow at the waterhole so I race to the bed stand to get the torch. I was just in time to see a leopard retreating as a spotted hyena was moving in. O\/ Adrenanline got pumped through my system and there was no way I’d go back to sleep for another half an hour. 0- So I dressed up warmly against the chill outside and settled on the deck with a cup of coffee. Nothing really happened though until the sun was up and to my delight the hyena returned for a bath and a drink at the waterhole O\/

Despite the hyenas we had seen so far – this was the first one in daylight! And we hadn’t got far on our morning drive when another one of this clan lurked over dunes:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Then it went quiet for an hour or so until we spotted a lappet-faced vulture in the riverbed, happily obliging to have its photo taken. I’ve never seen a lappet-face on the Aoub side before.

At Gemsbokplein we saw a martial eagle sitting in the waterhole during the hottest hours of the day.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Back in the camp for the midday siesta I manned the waterhole while Spots was lying down for some rest. The springboks granted me some company moving back and fro the waterhole. Not much happening. But all of a sudden one of the rams started pursuing another one and a serious fight was in the make. 0'

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

After the obvious patriarch of the herd and the territory had fended of the intruder, the springboks slowly moved off. Shame, I had hoped for a cheetah to arrive. :twisted: I had settled back to napping with open eyes when I noticed another movement in the corner of my eye to the right. A giraffe was on its way to the waterhole. What a treat! O:V

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

But it was very shy and skittish, coming closer a bit, turning around again as if it was about to leave again, turning towards the waterhole again and so on and so forth. It had almost made the rim of the water around the waterhole when our neighbours returned from their drive with much noise. 0' I had thought that this was the end of my giraffe sighting, but it stayed on cautiously waiting and watching. And while it did so, a little sandstorm built up and obscured my view on the animal.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

After things had got calmer again, it proceeded to the waterhole where the whole show of ‘do I or do I not’ started all over again. In the end the thirst won over. -O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Once the giraffe was gone a Cape vulture flew in.

Last edited by Mel on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What a productive time at the camp during the hottest hours of the day! ^Q^ We actually didn’t go out anymore that day because we were meant to leave very early the next morning to get to Mata-Mata by the time the bookings opened for October 2013. Another wise decision as it turned out: One of our neighbours kindly informed us that Charlie Fax and her pups were out and about. They have their den right next to unit 4. So I took my camera and spend an enjoyable half an hour with them. O/\

I think there is something about me that all the little pups keep hiding behind branches… 0-

Mum Charlie was roaming the camp later that night. Not particularly looking for scraps, but when I called her she sat down below our deck expectantly looking at me. Tells you stories… 0= Of course, she didn’t get anything from us and when I sent her off looking for mice and other delicacies she happily obliged. O**

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Other sightings:

Cute little lamb close up

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Jackal devouring leftovers

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”