Tamron 150-600 Review

Discuss the technical side of photography
Dewi

Re: Tamron 150-600 Review

Post by Dewi »

Sorry, it's the AF-L on your model. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Reading the manual again, it seems that button can be used to lock the AF and/or exposure OR switch the autofocus on. Must try that.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Peter Connan wrote:I read one review of this lens that said the AF is inclined to hunt with the D7000, but is much better with the D7100. Something about the lens not liking the older focus system.

If this is true, the same is very likely with the D5100.

I spent a few hours in Marievale's Hadeda hide last Friday next to a guy shooting a D750 with the Tamron lens. I did not get to see any of his pics, but he was getting way more shots in on passing birds than I did (D7000 + Nikkor 500mm f4). But there are LOTS of factors at play here that have nothing to do with focussing speed...
Are you talking about Friday the 2/1/2015 :twisted:

BT have tried setting your focus points to spot center :-)

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

My standard setting is at the centre spot with single point focus. I move the focus point around manually as required from there. I tried using the 3D setting in the early days but the focus spot always seemed to be where I didn't want it to be.

I'll try some different settings when I get the opportunity.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Dewi wrote:\O

Works great when you get used to it. Especially when you use the AF-on thumb option rather than the shutter, as once locked on, it stays with the subject as long as you keep AF-on depressed. \O
Dewi don't be like me and forget to push the back focus button in the excitement, 0*\ 0*\ =O: =O: =O: still used to front focus =O: =O: =O:

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I use the half depressed shutter release to focus too, I'm not sure if the back button would suit me because of the way I hold the camera but I'll try it anyway.

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Once you go back-button, you'll never return to the top shutter release, trust me. lol

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Dewi wrote:Once you go back-button, you'll never return to the top shutter release, trust me. lol
If you give it enough time to get used to it and start seeing the advantages of it! It's one of those mind-warp things, it takes a while, but really is worth it!

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Here are some pictures taken with the new lens at Rondebult Bird Sanctuary

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Some more pictures taken at Rietvlei.

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”