"Catch of the day" from Algarve

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: "Catch of the day" from Algarve

Post by Mel »

Iberico pork is for the rich and / or the posh where I live. Since I'm neither posh nor rich, I've never tried it before. lol
But maybe I should shed some Euros next time I come across it on a menu. You know I trust your judgement. O**

Love the stork! I still miss the breeding pair that used to nest basically right next to the road that leads to my school.
So, having them at close proximity when I look out of a window or pass by somewhere is always a highlight. O/\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I have never seen Iberico pork anywhere apart from down there -O- Fa had it again the next evening in Évora, but it was not as good as the first one.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Love the beautiful flowers, Lis ^Q^

Great that meanwhile here there are lots of flowers and trees bloomy O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Not bad here either ;-) ...............once it is spring lol

Were you missed by the tornado, Pumbaa? 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote:Not bad here either ;-) ...............once it is spring lol

Were you missed by the tornado, Pumbaa? 0*\
No gladly not although it was very windy here and the rain came down in torrents but gladly only for one hour :-?

But I saw the pictures of the city in Eastern Germany which had been missed by the Tornado in the News - It looked horrible 0=

PuMbAa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Not quite normal having Tornados in Germany 0- :O^

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote:Not quite normal having Tornados in Germany 0- :O^
Definitely not :evil:

PuMbAa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

16.03.2015 Monsaraz

A white village with a magical medieval atmosphere

Monsaraz is a tiny fairytale walled village that maintains a delightful medieval atmosphere. It was originally fortified by the Knights Templar, and today its 150 or so permanent residents live in ancient white houses with outdoor staircases and wrought-iron balconies.

The main street, Rua Direita, lined with 16th and 17th century whitewashed houses, leads to the main square, where the parish church stands along with an unusual 18th century pillory topped by a sphere of the universe. The church interior contains gilded altars and painted pillars.

It is worth climbing the granite castle's battlements for eagle's-eye views of the houses clustered within the village walls and for the magical landscape of the surrounding countryside. Within the castle is an unusual arena where bullfights are held several times a year.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Due to its geographic position, the hilltop of Monsaraz always occupied an important place in the history of the municipality, having been occupied by different peoples since the pre-historical record. It is one of the oldest Portuguese settlements of the southern Portugal, occupied since pre-history,

Monsaraz was reorganized during the Roman occupation, but later successively occupied by the Visigoths, Arabs, Mozarabs, Jews, and, after the Reconquista, Christians loyal to Afonso Henriques. In the 8th century, Monsaraz fell under the dominion of Arab forces who occupied the Iberian Peninsula, becoming known as Saris or Sharish, and following the control of the Taifa of Badajoz (one of the more prominent Arab centres at the time). The name Monsaraz originates from the word Xarez or Xerez, the Iberian transliteration of the Arabic Saris or Sharish, for the Gum Rockrose (Cistus ladanifer L.), a plant that still today prospers in poor, dry, acidic slate-based soil that surrounds Monsaraz. The Iberian words Xarez/Xerez latter evolved to the Portuguese Xaraz and to the Spanish {Castilian) Jerez (the Spanish name for the sherry wine). The settlement that became Monsaraz, originated from the Monte Xaraz, a fortified hill surrounded by Gum Rockroses. It is natural position, the highest hill in the area and proximity to the deep Guadiana valley, made it a location of strategic importance.

Gum Rockrose

In 1167, the Castle and medina was taken by Geraldo Sem Pavor, in an expedition that came from Évora (which had just been retaken, about the same time). After, Afonso Henriques' defeat in Badajoz, Monsaraz was once again taken by Muslim forces. In 1232, supported by the Knights Templar, King Sancho II definitively retook the citadel and town, placing it under the control of the Templars, and obligating them to establish a garrison that would protect the border.[3] The Christian repopulation of Monsaraz ended around the reign of Afonso III, when it was assigned an alcalde, the knight Martim Anes, and first letter of foral.

In 1263 it was already an important fortress, being the head of a municipality, with large privileges. The local economy was fundamentally based on agriculture and livestock, existing some small artesnal industries producing terra cotta earthenware and hammered copper.

After the Portuguese Interregnum (1383-1385), the town of Monsaraz was integrated into the dominions of the House of Braganza under Nuno Álvares Pereira. By 1412, it is inherited by Fernando, his son, becoming one of the more precious profit centres in the Ducal estates.

In 1512, King Manuel of Portugal issued a foral (charter) to the Vila de Monsaraz, reformulating the public and jurisdictional administration of the municipality.

The demographic crises created by the plague forced the Duke of Bragança, in 1527 to carry out small land reforms in order to promote the settlement Monsaraz. The small plots were established in the area surrounding this village.

Following the Portuguese Restoration War, in 1640, the castle received new tactical defenses, that included a new walled bastion, that allowed the city-fort to be integrated into the system of defences that connected Elvas, Juromenha, Olivença and Mourão.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The condition of the walled medieval city, the growth of the farm estates of Reguengos, the richness of the artesnal production and vineyards, and more importantly, the loyalty towards the Miguelist forces during the Liberal Wars were all factors that contributed to the shifting of the municipal seat from Monsaraz to Vila Nova de Reguengos in 1838, a fact that became permanent after 1851.

The splendid view from the castle on the Alqueva Dam, an arch dam and the center-piece of the Alqueva Mutlipurpose Project. It impounds the RiverGuadiana, on the border of Beja and Évora Districts in south of Portugal. The dam takes its name from the town of Alqueva to its right bank. It creates a large reservoir with an inter-annual regulation capacity from which water may be distributed throughout the region. The dam was completed in 2002 and its reservoir was full in 2012. The 518.4-megawatt (695,200 hp) power station was commissioned in two stages, stage I in 2004 and stage II in 2013. The Alqueva Dam constitutes one of the largest dams and artificial lakes (250 square kilometres (97 sq mi)) in Western Europe.

A perfect place for a nest

I never miss a ceramic store 0*\

Another picturesque corner

The exit back to the real world

To be continued.......

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”