Addo Outings 2016

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Re: Addo Outings

Post by PJL »

\O PRWIN

Our evening drive consisted of a trip to see the elephant herd which had come through in the afternoon, and then the weather turned nasty so despite quite a long drive we didn't get to see much apart from some horizontal rain --00--

Our last morning was at least dry, and 2 guides had decided to team up for this drive, so our vehicle was a bit busier than before. Now here's my biggest gripe about the place... the guides are not spotters. Yes they can tell you some information about certain species etc, but at this point they hadn't 'spotted' anything... we had. I figured that with 2 of them up front this morning might be different, but no, we were treated to some nice sightings that we had to tell them where to look etc 0*\

First up was a steenbok ewe

Then a steenbok couple O:V

Spotting some mountain zebra didn't require much effort

But these ostrich chicks might otherwise have been missed 0'

Soon after, we left the main section of Kuzuko and dropped into a valley that is still part of their land ownership, but separated from the sanparks section because here they have a couple of giraffe. They were very pale in colour and apparently it's due to their diet here. If taken up to say Kruger, they would turn darker in a few weeks of eating the vegetation up there ..0..

2 headed giraffe... not seen so often these days ;-)

nan

Post by nan »

wow ove the chicks O/\ lol
and the Mountain Zebra and the special Giraffe, I think of the colour and this one with 2 heads ;-)

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Love the steenbok and Giraffe shots, PJL O\/ O\/ O\/

and the ostrich chicks in a row is also a special one ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Interesting thoughts, PJL...and PRWIN... \O

Very good pics again!!

Mountain zebra there...? -O- :-? 0- --00--

Maybe the guides let the visitors spot for themselves on purpose! :twisted:

Maybe put the pale giraffe up under "unusual behaviour" and we can forward, sounds a bit strange? -O-
0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

Richprins wrote:Mountain zebra there...? -O- :-? 0- --00--

Maybe the guides let the visitors spot for themselves on purpose! :twisted:
Yes - the terrain is much more similar to Mountain Zebra NP, so it makes sense to have them here as well... As for the guides... hmmm... --00-- --00-- 0'

PJL

Post by PJL »

After some coffee and rusks we went over to see if the lions were out and about. Fairly shortly after entering their area we could see Fielies making his way through the veld looking extremely fat from chowing some meat the previous evening.

One of the other lions must have marked a bush nearby as his flehmen response went on for quite a while O:V

All the meat he had eaten must have made him very thirsty as he then went over to the drinking trough. It's a shame (certainly from a photographic point of view) that they couldn't make an actual waterhole rather than a cattle trough 0*\

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

How exciting it must have been for you to see him again... after all you've known him since he was little :-0

And he's turned into a really handsome chap! The belly suits him well too lol (Wonder if Sylvester got anything of the meat,
looking at Fielies' belly =O: )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Heavens, he's fat! Holiday binging! lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

Apparently at a kill Sylvester will start eating and Fielies eats literally everything around him :yes:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Probably... he's the dominant male. -O- But he obviously wasn't that hungry lol (just kidding, because of that fat tummy of Fielies')

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”