Needs Attention: Kruger Park

Issues that need to be brought to the attention of Parks' Managements
Bushcraft

Re: Needs Attention: Kruger Park

Post by Bushcraft »

(21-04-2012) These pics were taken 12 days ago at Skukuza.

The satellite dish is hanging by its cables in the public walkway behind the boma area. I assume that it’s either for the restaurant or for the sport/rugby games that are shown in the boma.

The vegetation growth around the bracket hasn’t happened over night, so this has been neglected for some time.

This “pipe” is sticking out of the ground in front of the Elsie Clark Cottage and is a danger to anyone walking in that area.

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

(21-04-2012) On my recent trip I noticed this piece of sink next to the road. I have not reported it elsewhere.
It was on the S114 about 37 Km from Melelane Gate and 24 km from Skukuza.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

(21-04-2012) The sad thing is that we stayed at Skukuza last Novenmer in 110 Tent and it was in the same state. The bedding looked as if it had never been washed and the bed side tables were in the same state...actually thought they were the same :roll: . What frustrates me is I mailed SANPARKS as to this and let them know of it in the surveys they send one to complete after your stay and it seems there is nothing being done about it O/ O/ O/

Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Twigga and Amoli's queries forwarded! (21-04-2012)

Olifants restaurant and outstanding Skukuza/Nkuhlu/rubbish dump queries forward to Regional Service Director.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

(26-04-2012)

leachy checked out the Tents in Skuks last weekend.

Everything was clean, but the tables are from Noah's ark, as the pics indicate, and the "bedspreads" are simply ancient and stained, and don't seem to fall into the normal cleaning/replacement regime, for some reason...maybe difficult to wash or replace? But seemed washed yet unacceptable?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Received the following email reply from Skukuza 21-05-2012, within ONE working day of submitting outstanding maintenance issues via the "official" Sanparks' complaints channel, cc'd by Skuks Hospitality Services manager to no less than 10 SanParks officials, including Joep Stevens! :shock:

Your feedback email dated 18th May 2012 to our customer care department has reference.

My humble apologies for the faulty filled visit to Skukuza. I noticed that almost every unit you occupied had a either a malfunction or crappy equipment and surely this is not what you expected and definitely not value for money. We have noted all the faults and observation and our Housekeeping and maintenance department are working on rectifying them. We currently have a dedicated maintenance team that is focusing purely on maintenance related issues and this will be repeated as and when the units require attention. We hope this will assist in keeping all our units within the desired standards. We are also intensifying training with our Supervisory staff which should also enhance or improve the level of inspection in our units.

May I once again thank you for taking time to give us feedback on your recent visit to our camp.

Kind regards

My reply:

Hello, Peter!

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

I did not stay in every unit, though it would be wonderful to visit so regularly!

These are queries addressed to Africa Wild website by other tourists over the last months....those that I did not receive finalisation on from yourself and some of the recipients below! So I don't know if you're allowed to reply as per statements made by Mr Rey Thakhuli and Mr Abe Sibiya last week regarding Africa Wild...but it is much appreciated indeed, and I shall forward your assurances to the relevant tourists!

Thank you once again for the response, and am looking forward to the resolution of these matters in the interest of a common goal...the improvement of our Park!

Regards

So that is what I call service, one way or the other! O:V
Last edited by Richprins on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

(07-05-2012)

One thing that really bugged me during my last trip was the state of the railings at the bridges.

With the last storm throwing such a force against the safety features of the bridges, the railings have been completely demolished.

As the bridge over the Olifants River is still a bridge where one can get out of the car and admire the scenery, the safety of the people is in a poor state.

The railings are gone.

Just a piece of wire is all there is to withhold the people from toppling over and dropping down about 7 meters.

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Reply received 10-05-2012:

"Visitors must understand that reconstruction is dependant upon insurance issues, and the tendering of bids for such, which is an ongoing process"

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Posted by threedogs on the SPF today
If anyone thinks there is no reason to be concerned about standards in some of the camps these are quotes on the tripadvisor forum review for Skukuza.
These were taken from the FIRST 20 REVIEWS!!! That is 35% of those 20 guests who were disappointed in some way.

The other reviews were all quite positive. Is getting it wrong for a third of guests an acceptable amount?
Do any Sanparks read these travel forums? Maybe they should!

“The place needs a serious overhaul - the days of relying on the location only are over!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012
1 person found this review helpful
Kruger national park is in dire straights of some serious help and a lot of training! Our drains were blocked on arrival and the toilet handle had to be pushed back up after flushing. The entire airconditioner cover fell onto my toiletries bag and made a huger mess. The vents have not been cleaned ever and the general dirt is pretty disgusting!
Most of the staff is very indifferent.
“Worste experience ever!!!!”
Reviewed 24 March 2012
“very dissapointing,will never see me again”
Reviewed 28 November 2011
6 people found this review helpful
As the Parks HQ I was very dissapointed with the facilities and the sevice.I was actually embarressed to be a south african and have all the tourist wanting their african experience turn laughing stock when they visit the camp.

only good thing I can say was the ablution blocks were clean.
I've never seen a pool in such a bad state,green,cig budds.It 's warm on most days and nobody takes care of the ONLY pool.Are you kidding me?

Service at the restaurant is just diabolical,most employees have a "don't care" attitude!!
Because you have no other option but to visit the restaurant or shop does not mean you can dish bad food,bad attitude,bad service!

Is this really the kind of image you want to project to people visiting our country?
Management should be sacked on the spot
“Now an overcrowded conference hub”
Reviewed 30 December 2011
9 people found this review helpful
Skukuza has always been too busy a camp for most people to consider it an option when going to Kruger Park. Now with the added conference facilities it is a no go (am I missing something - the show is out in the bush not inside between the walls).
The restaurant offers mostly pork and chicken (they say beef and lamb is too expensive) and the food in completely tasteless.
I will not recommend this camp and especially not the restaurant
“In Serious need of some service training”
Reviewed 24 February 2012
3 people found this review helpful
I was not impressed by Skukuza this is the main camp in the park and should be its flagship. It is visited by many tourists from around the world and really gives a bad impression of our people. The service was curt, rude and unhelpful not only at the reception but also the shop and museum. The air conditioner in the unit was ancient and noisy and despite the draps and bedding being modernised the shower was appalling.
.. however service at the reception was normal South African .Staff chatting to each other rather than customers and you got the impression that everything was too much effort! Asked about the Wild Card which gives you discounted conservation fees for the whole trip, only to be told that it was not available to International visitors( not true and probably cost us an extra £200 for the trip)
“Absa guest house a big disappointment
And
I just checked tripadvisor on Satara. Of twenty reviews all since January this year about 60% were either very negative or mostly negative. The restaurant food and service was mentioned most often but also complaints of other staff being unfriendly and unhelpful and lack of maintenance or worn and tired accommodation.
(Virtually all reviews mentioned the excellent game viewing in the area which is to be expected.) I have booked Satara for August this year, unfortunately this is not filling me with optimism
Any chance of a response from Sanparks? Satara is one of the most popular camps but something seems amiss?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The maintenance thread here will go ahead exactly as always, We'll just use different approaches to get messages through, so don't worry! The bigger picture is at stake, regarding keeping our Parks a pleasure for visitors, and that is actually what is important.

Replies will obviously be different...but let's see...although the message has done the rounds in Kruger that my queries...in fact any viewing or contact with AW, may result in DISMISSAL...(Another scare tactic), not all managers may have got that message, or rather, not all managers may take this childishness seriously!

Return to “Park Facilities: Needs Attention”