A Flutter with a Few Firsts

Flutterby

Re: A Flutter with a Few Firsts

Post by Flutterby »

Sun. April 21, 2013
Waterval Boven – Tamboti, Part 3

We decided to head past Satara and cut across on the S127 to get onto the S39, where we picked up quite a lot of game – giraffe, zebra, baboons, kudu, and more tortoises!!

As we came around a corner, a car was approaching with kids sitting on the windowsill. :O^ They quickly slipped inside, then we noticed the driver…a young girl who could not have been older than 12!!! :shock: :-? (There was an adult in the passenger seat.)

This cactus was growing on a tree! 0-

We reached the H7 and turned towards Orpen and were then diverted onto the S106 Rabelais Loop…the H7 is still closed after the floods!! -O- The Brat made a brilliant spot of 2 Martial Eagles well hidden in a tree. \O And we’d also seen a total of 5 rhino during our drive.

We checked in at Orpen at about 5.30 and then made our way to Tamboti for our first ever visit there!!! We had requested No. 22 as per BC's advice and it had a great view - it's just a pity that we got there so late, so couldn't really enjoy it!! My dad and I loved the wildness of it...the Brat was less impressed that he had to walk to the ablutions!! :O^

Some pics of our tent:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Flutterby wrote: My dad and I loved the wildness of it...the Brat was less impressed that he had to walk to the ablutions!! :O^
Good for the Brat to try some "wilderness" :twisted:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

nice Red-billed Oxpecker ^Q^ and, of course, the cactus in a tree :-? CIT or something like that =O:

there is again fridge on the terrace, it seems for me, they were inside -O-

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Aaaaaa Tamboti, such a special gem! And yes nr 22 a must if you're at this camp...if you can brave a trip to the loo :shock: I had grown men doing that trip in record time -O

So the H7, is it still closed? We are going that way in July -O-

Somewhere in Kruger
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Nice episode F.B. Going to ask for number 22 when we are there in August.

Love the photo of the giraffe and zebra in the road.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Flutterby,

Just caught up with your trip. Lovely pics and wish I could have been there myself. \O

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

You got 22 O/\ O/\ I have done many midnight toilet runs from 22 also =O: =O: so BB is ok X#X but the ballie should show him the "hide in bush male technique" O**

Great episode \O

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

What luck that you found the lions under the same bush X#X - Can you imagine how often I tried to do that looking for them where we spotted them in several years ago but it so far never worked :evil:

Love also your giraffe and zebra road block picture, as that is so typical Kruger - Sigh ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lisbeth wrote:Good for the Brat to try some "wilderness" :twisted:
He does his best but he does like his home comforts...just like his dad! -O
nan wrote:nice Red-billed Oxpecker ^Q^ and, of course, the cactus in a tree :-? CIT or something like that =O:

there is again fridge on the terrace, it seems for me, they were inside -O-
CIT...I like that! -O The fridge is outside but in a cage. ;-)
Twigga wrote:Aaaaaa Tamboti, such a special gem! And yes nr 22 a must if you're at this camp...if you can brave a trip to the loo :shock: I had grown men doing that trip in record time -O

So the H7, is it still closed? We are going that way in July -O-
I didn't see what the view was like from other tents but this one was great! \O Hope the H7 opens soon! :O^
steamtrainfan wrote:Nice episode F.B. Going to ask for number 22 when we are there in August.

Love the photo of the giraffe and zebra in the road.
It's a great unit STF! \O Tx! ;-)
Bushveld Jock wrote:Hi Flutterby,

Just caught up with your trip. Lovely pics and wish I could have been there myself. \O
Why not take another trip! -O \O
Bushcraft wrote:You got 22 O/\ O/\ I have done many midnight toilet runs from 22 also =O: =O: so BB is ok X#X but the ballie should show him the "hide in bush male technique" O**

Great episode \O
The ballie did show him that technique, but sometimes the real thing is needed! O**
Pumbaa wrote:What luck that you found the lions under the same bush X#X - Can you imagine how often I tried to do that looking for them where we spotted them in several years ago but it so far never worked :evil:

Love also your giraffe and zebra road block picture, as that is so typical Kruger - Sigh ^Q^
Indeed Pumbaa, we also always look for animals in the same place we have seen them before and this is the first time we found them!! –O Thanks for your kind comments. \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Sun. April 21, 2013
Waterval Boven – Tamboti, Part 4

So, after unpacking and pouring some drinks, my dad got the fire started and the Brat and I sat on the deck. We soon heard some rustling in the bushes next to us and a honey badger appeared. It ran straight past my dad, to the next tent and knocked the bin over! -O It went inside and stayed there for a while then moved off to the next tent where we could hear it knock over that bin as well!! :O^

Dinner was soon ready...chicken, rashers and potatoes! As par for the course, the braai pin was missing but beer cans worked just as well! ;-)

After dinner a genet came sniffing around the bin.... (this if the first time I have seen a genet up close! O:V )

....but it hurried into the bushes as the badger had reappeared. He’s obviously very skilled at this...

He disappeared inside and stayed there quite a while. All we had thrown away was an avo skin, some cans and juice boxes, but he obviously liked them...he even tore the juice boxes open! 0-

The genet sneaked out again while the badger was in the bin. -O

These two kept us entertained for over an hour! And at one point the badger tried to come up the stairs onto the deck but my dad grabbed a chair and chased him away! :shock:

We found another genet sleeping in a tree right next to our deck.

Eventually the badger and the genets disappeared and we decided to call it a night. The Brat and I went to the ablutions (but I was too scared to walk so we drove :twisted:). While we were gone my dad heard a noise on the deck and when he opened the door he came face to face with the badger again!! 0*\ When we got back we had to wait in the car until he decided to leave!! :O^ We also heard lions roaring the whole night, so it was truly a bush experience!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”