SANParks' Corporate Social Investment Programmes

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: SANParks' Corporate Social Investment Programmes

Post by Richprins »

The power line saves you some electricity bucks, H.! \O

(Or should do... O** )

The little piles of wood are part of verge clearing, and necessary! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Richprins wrote:The little piles of wood are part of verge clearing, and necessary!

By the mere bat of your eyelid, it leaves me feeling quite
uncomfortable. I cannot quite separate verge clearing from
firewood collection, by argument!!

Both have a reaping affect with little cognisance for the visitor!!

Heh,.. H.e
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Richprins wrote:The power line saves you some electricity bucks, H.!
Again we sacrifice to what would be a priviledge!!!

Heh,.. H.e
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Richprins wrote:The power line saves you some electricity bucks, H.! \O
Please explain how. 0-
Richprins wrote:The little piles of wood are part of verge clearing, and necessary! ;-)
Again, what is the necessity? :-?

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The power is added to the national power grid from Cahora Bassa in Mozambique, a "green" hydroelectric source. At least that is the theory. If bush is allowed to grow onto and over the verges of roads, that willl cause accidents! 0-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Richprins wrote:The power is added to the national power grid from Cahora Bassa in Mozambique, a "green" hydroelectric source. At least that is the theory.
The DC power being fed from Cahora Bassa goes to Olifantsfontein, there it is converted to AC and sent to Mozal at a very reduced rate. This power has nothing to do with the South African grid, in fact we make up the shortfall in payment resulting from the reduced price to Mozambique.
Richprins wrote:If bush is allowed to grow onto and over the verges of roads, that willl cause accidents! 0-
I am not sure how deep in off the verge they are cutting in the south, but here they are cutting between 10 and 12m in on either side. I agree that the "bush" has to be kept from growing onto the roads, but by going so far away from the road it also enhances visibility around corners leading to safer conditions for speeding. When the park was being run correctly, with conservation as the primary aim this "cutting" never took place.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins wrote:The power is added to the national power grid from Cahora Bassa in Mozambique, a "green" hydroelectric source. At least that is the theory. If bush is allowed to grow onto and over the verges of roads, that willl cause accidents! 0-
I am perfectly well aware of the current discrepancies. The power line was built long before Mozal. I am not aware of the verges being made so as to purposely enable speeding? Do you have information on this? -O-

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Richprins wrote:
Richprins wrote:The power is added to the national power grid from Cahora Bassa in Mozambique, a "green" hydroelectric source. At least that is the theory. If bush is allowed to grow onto and over the verges of roads, that willl cause accidents! 0-
I am perfectly well aware of the current discrepancies. The power line was built long before Mozal. I am not aware of the verges being made so as to purposely enable speeding? Do you have information on this? -O-
Who mentioned purposely??

H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

This practise only takes place beside the tar roads, seemingly prominent!!

To be quite honest it seems that I am standing outside the greater plot of
exploitation!! It will remain for me to nip a bud in the process where I may
see fit as individual.

Heh,.. H.e
Toko

Post by Toko »

MEDIA RELEASE: SANPARKS HANDS OVER A COMPUTER LAB TO SCHOOL LEARNERS

Date: 5th June 2013
The South African National Parks (SANParks) officially handed over a computer laboratory as part of its Corporate Social Investment (CSI) programmes to Masiza High School in Mbaula, a village outside Phalaborwa yesterday, 4 June 2013.
"In the past, our approach to community development was more of providing access to benefits that accrue from our business. We have now added the issue of Corporate Social Investment wherein we have begun to provide facilities and resources that can benefit the whole community", said the Kruger National Park Managing Executive, Abe Sibiya on behalf of SANParks.
The school, situated on the border of the iconic Kruger National Park is the first beneficiary of the SANParks CSI project in the Limpopo Province. The computer lab is not meant to benefit learners only; but that outside the normal school hours, it will also extend the service to people in the community aspiring to have computer skills.
Sibiya said "This is the first project which talks directly to our new vision "National Parks connecting to Society". Our bet now is to improve the socio-economic situation of the rural poor in the provinces; which is also in line with the government mandate. The programme forms part of the KNP's broader strategy of economic empowerment and social responsibility programmes which focuses on communities around the Parks".
For five years, the programme will mainly focus around education related needs such as support through provision of required infrastructure, libraries, science laboratories, additional classrooms, borehole/water tanks and in future, will also look at other areas as identified with community stakeholders and relevant institutions.
In conclusion Sibiya said through these projects, SANParks hopes that beneficiaries will inspire a culture of performance and cost effectiveness; becoming thoughtful learning communities which use information and forward planning to increase their value - thereby giving SANParks returns on these social investments - into the future.

The computer lab (including refurbishment of the building and installation of 32 computers) amounts to the value of R800 000.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Kruger National Parks Communications
Tel: 013 735 4262
Enquiries:
William Mabasa
GM: Communications & Marketing, Kruger National Park
Tel: 013 735 4363; Cell: 082 807 3919
Email: william.mabasa@sanparks.org
Or
Reynold "Rey" Thakhuli
GM: PR, Media and Stakeholder Relations, SANParks
Tel: 012 426 5203/5170; Cell: 073 373 4999