I've got a feeling of a hot summer in Kruger

Pumbaa

Re: I've got a feeling of a hot summer in Kruger

Post by Pumbaa »

RogerFraser wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:35 pm ^Q^ Love the Klippies .

:yes: its becoming a special rare sighting for the Rhino these days :-(

Ducklings are [Luv]
After we saw none rhino last year must say that we had luck with them this year \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:54 pm Catching up, Pumbaa! \O

Lots of birdies indeed, lucky with the mousebirds! ^Q^

And also lucky with rhino these days! :yes:

I love the warthog with the ducks! [O]
Birding was in fact good this year all over the park but mousebirds are indeed a more rarer sighting also for us O/\

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Finally all three family members were willing to come out of their cave between the boulders for a picture

which indeed looked very inviting especially to escape a bit the heat

as indeed with each minute it got again hotter and hotter, however, a pair of eagles were hanging around in a tree

and it looks as if this one was protecting something with its wings although we could not discover a kill earlier in the tree.

We meanwhile already turned into the S113 but same was disappointingly quiet and same applied for our drive along the S23 it was already simply too hot. At least the vegetation looked lush and green and a kudu male enjoyed the shade

although must say that nearly all causeways we crossed were unfortunately already dry but in one we noticed this red dragonfly

who was more than willing to pose.

At least more kudus could be seen in the lovely shade they were feeding

until we reached Biyamiti weir one of our favourite spots in that area and as we last year could not visit this place due to the road closures we were so much looking forward this year to spend time here but besides the lack of animals there were construction works at the weir going on and it looked as if they were busy in bringing out all the sand which had collected there so the weir was disappointingly quiet because of the noise the construction vehicle made. At least a grey heron could not been chased away

and as there was still a bit water flowing also more dragonflies could be found in the grass

and the three banded plover was tireless busy in searching for something to eat.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

We carried on and were followed by dust until we stopped for a group of zebras

who did not bother the heat.

Only at the causeway across the Mlambane we again noticed some activity in form of a very close African jacana

and along the Mlambane loop this beautiful buzzard.

Meanwhile we had 36 degrees again and as there was indeed nearly nothing to be seen we drove straight to Berg en Dal camp and we arrived right in time to check in and to my delight we got again the keys to No. 31 for which I requested as same is right at the fence. After we moved in I put on the air condition at full speed to cool down a bit and after we felt a bit refreshed we decided to do a short afternoon drive to Matjulu which is indeed not such a long drive and soon we spotted giraffes and this European roller still hiding under the leaves of a tree.

At Matjulu itself which looked still very full we noticed again lots of birdies there such as a couple of white fronted bee eaters

but due to the lack of everything else we already turned around as we still wanted to take a walk along the path from our bungalow to the dam in daylight but for sure we stopped for more rhinos along the way

and then the white fronted bee eaters who joined us during our drive put up a show as they started to take extensively a dust bath. In the beginning only one took a bath

but soon others joined same

and after a while even a red billed hornbill stopped

and needed a dust bath too.

to be continued…………

PuMbAa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Lovely klippies \O

Maybe the tawny is spreading the wings hoping for a bit of air to cool it down -O-

Funny that the zebras often rest their heads on each other, but this shot of the three of them is special \O

Yes, it is indeed a beautiful buzzard with a head almost white ^Q^

Great shots of the birds, as usual O/\
0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Just [Luv] the pics of the dragon flies

The Bee Eaters are super also .

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:54 pm Lovely klippies \O

Maybe the tawny is spreading the wings hoping for a bit of air to cool it down -O-

Funny that the zebras often rest their heads on each other, but this shot of the three of them is special \O

Yes, it is indeed a beautiful buzzard with a head almost white ^Q^

Great shots of the birds, as usual O/\
0()
Could be as it was already extreme hot and also the zebras stood in the midday heat in the sun :yes:

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

RogerFraser wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:44 pm Just [Luv] the pics of the dragon flies

The Bee Eaters are super also .
Saw lots of different dragonflies this year \O

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

As we were early back we soon started our walk but already from our verandah we stopped for two nyalas who unfortunately soon disappeared.

Timon detected a brown snake eagle in a tree,

waterbucks were also around but still a bit far away so we captured that green backed heron

and on the dam wall a grey heron could be seen

as well as another green backed heron.

Although most of the causeways we crossed today were already dry the dam was filled up to brim and after we spent a nice time in the shade on one of the many benches we walked slowly back unfortunately the hamerkop and jacanas were all a bit far away. At least we noticed more waterbucks on the other side of the river

and a bit further on now extreme close in the evening sun young bulls,

an older one

but the young ones were in the majority.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lots of bushbucks could be seen under the bushes inside camp

whereas the brown snake eagle meanwhile changed its position

and finally a beautiful male bushbuck close to our bungalow.

Timon lit already the braai and somehow two elephants bulls appeared from behind a bush and came closer to the fence.

Whilst one decided to carry on his way one of them stayed and soon our neighbours joined us

and we enjoyed the close presence of this giant together whilst the braai was going.

He stayed quite long there and shilst we already put our meat on the braai and enjoyed dinner outside

we still could observe our private elephant bull who walked now a bit farer away but he still stayed until it got pitch dark around.

What an exciting first day we already had with an incredible number of different birds and so many other nice things as well we were so happy to final being back.

to be continued………

PuMbAa

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”