A Month in Bella Italia

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Flutterby

Re: A Month in Bella Italia

Post by Flutterby »

After our marathon session in the Vatican Museums we took a much-needed break at a nearby pizzeria for our first pizza in Italy. It was actually quite good considering it was full of tourists! ;-)

Once we had recovered we made our way back to St. Peter's. Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter's is the most renowned work of Renaissance architecture and the largest church in the world! :shock: Catholic tradition holds that the Basilica is the burial site of Saint Peter, and his tomb is supposedly directly below the high altar of the Basilica. There has been a church on this site since the time of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great. Construction of the present basilica, which would replace Old St. Peter's Basilica from the 4th century AD, began on 18 April 1506 and was completed on 18 November 1626.

St. Peter's Square, in front of the basilica, was designed by Bernini in the 1680s. It is surrounded on both sides by massive Tuscan colonnades, four columns deep. Above each set of columns is a statue of a saint...90 statues in all!! This is just one side of the square!

Foreign military service was outlawed by the Swiss Federal Constitution of 1874, with the only exception being the Pontifical Swiss Guard stationed in Vatican City. Established in 1506, it is one of the oldest military units in the world.The Pontifical Swiss Guard is a small force maintained by the Holy See, and is responsible for the safety of the Pope, including the security of the Apostolic Palace.

The entire interior of St. Peter's is lavishly decorated with marble, reliefs, architectural sculpture and gilding. The basilica contains a large number of tombs of popes and other notable people, many of which are considered outstanding artworks. There are also a number of sculptures in niches and chapels, including Michelangelo's Pietà, which we somehow missed and only realised once we'd left!! O/ O/ I now have to go back to Rome just to see that!! :yes:

One observer wrote: "St Peter's Basilica is the reason why Rome is still the center of the civilized world. For religious, historical, and architectural reasons it by itself justifies a journey to Rome, and its interior offers a palimpsest of artistic styles at their best ...".

The dome of St. Peter's rises to a total height of 136.57 metres from the floor of the basilica to the top of the external cross. It is the tallest dome in the world with an internal diameter of 41.47 metres.

St. Peter's Baldachin is a large Baroque sculpted bronze canopy over the high altar. It is at the centre of the crossing and directly under the dome of the basilica. Designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, it marks the place of Saint Peter's tomb underneath. It is claimed to be the largest piece of bronze in the world!

The Chair of Saint Peter is a relic conserved in St. Peter's. It is a wooden throne that is claimed to have been used by Saint Peter, the leader of the Early Christians in Rome and the first Pope. The throne is enclosed in a sculpted gilt bronze casing designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and executed between 1647 and 1653.

This ancient bronze statue of St. Peter, portrayed as he gives a blessing and preaches, while holding the keys to the kingdom of heaven is attributed to Arnolfo di Cambio (1245-1302). The feet of the statue have been worn smooth by the millions of visitors touching and kissing them!

Visitors are allowed to go to the top of the dome, a total of 551 steps!! O-/ By this time I had blisters and my ankles were swollen to twice their normal size so there was no ways I was climbing any steps! :no:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Yes, it is enormous!

Did you know that there is a small bar in the back of the church? If it is still there -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

No, I didn't know that. -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O \O \O Flutts!

A hundred metre-high dome! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Swiss Guards don't look very intimidating... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Fascinating! As much as I don't feel the inclination to visit Rome myself -
it's more than enjoyable to look at all your photos here ^Q^

Lis, are those your photos or did you pick them up on the Net?
Great shots those \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Internet! I should have added that :o0ps:

I thought that it was the case for those who have not seen the Sistine Chapel ;-) .

Mine have drowned with many other things 20 years ago 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm \O \O \O Flutts!

A hundred metre-high dome! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Swiss Guards don't look very intimidating... O**
That's only their "show off" uniforms for the tourists. The original Look. They are highly trained men even if today a battle is not very likely ;-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

To actually serve and defend the pope and the people of the vatican, the swiss guards use the actual weapons of the swiss army, including the swiss made pistole SIG Sauer P220 and the assault rifle SIG 550 (pictured below) as well as the german made machine pistols Heckler & Koch MP5 and Heckler & Koch MP7.

The members of the swiss guards qualify to carry those weapons by training in the swiss military service, which is mandatory to every male citizen. So every Swiss Guard looked similar to this chap before:

Regular duty uniform:

Image O**

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Are they Montagues or Capulets? =O: =O: =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

They have to dress true to tradition. If not they would not be so special ;-)

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”