A short October trip to the Island of Rhodes (Greece)

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Bushcraft

Re: A short October trip to the Island of Rhodes (Greece)

Post by Bushcraft »

Great pics Lisbeth ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

What fish was that :-?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Bushcraft wrote: What fish was that :-?
I think it was an amberjack or something similar.

or a Sea bass........

We ate so many different ones, that it is hard to remember lol I'll ask Fa, he might remember -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

:ty: Flutterby! Toko, a bit of history has never hurt anybody ^0^ Dewi, great that you like the cultural part as RP prefers the potatoes :O^ Do not worry, Amoli, there are many more stones to come lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Maybe a bit of sea air will do us good after the dust of ancient history.
(In 1988 the Medieval City of Rhodes was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.)

The ancient city-state of Líndos was one of the three major towns of ancient Rhodes thanks to its great naval power. The other two were Ialissós and Kámiros. With “Ancient Rhodes” we are talking about the 6th and 5th century BC. Today Lindos is one of the most popular holiday destinations on Rhodes.

We arrived at Lindos driving south from the town of Rhodes along the coast for about 50 km. Our tiny rental car is only one of the many tiny rental cars that we find all over the place. Just before arriving we notice quite a few cars parked on a space along the road and as all visitors at a sighting, be it lions, elephants or other, we stop to see what they are looking at.
They were looking at this:

Nestling at the foot of a steep rock and beautifully surrounded by the sea lies the village of Líndos; on the top of the same rock stands a centuries-old acropolis overlooking the archipelagos. The place is supposed to have had a population of 17,000. The landscape of Líndos shows the essence of Rhodes: a surprisingly blend of ancient, medieval and modern With 600,000 visitors annually. Surprisingly it is one of the most visited archeological sites in Greece. In my opinion it would be much less visited if it did not have some of the best beaches in Greece O**

Driving downhill looking for a place to park, once again I was wondering how on earth it would be in high season, but at the end of the on road parking, we found a biiig space looking rather unkept, but with space for a lot of cars. Later I discovered that there were in fact quite a few places to park in the area.

Walking towards the first houses

When Fa saw the uphill to the acropolis, came the expected phrase 0*\ “I am not going up there” and I: “Maybe it is not as bad as it looks like, let us get a bit closer and we want to have a look at the village too, don’t we?”

This is how the problem was resolved:
I was on the donkey right behind :yes:

To be continued with lots of stones ^0^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I agree with Fa! Why climb mount Olympus if you're on holiday? 0-

And I love the culture! :yes:

(Did Fa fall off a bit?.... O-/ )

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Great scenes again Lis. Hope you both enjoyed the donkey ride. O/\

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lindos O:V Awesome contrast between the "modern" and the medieval O\/ There's even a satellite dish :evil:

Donkey ride :shock: Whahaha =O: =O: =O: --00-- Hope it was fun :-0

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The donkey ride was not at all comfortable :no:

You are right RP. It was a Annus horribilis for Fa. Three operations and once 1 1/2 months and the second time one month in hospital. He has always been a bit hunchbacked though lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Well, tell Fa most of us dimwits carry injuries/scuff marks during our adventures! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Sounds indeed like an Island to visit but I would also not travel in summer, far too hot, in summer I do prefer Denmark O** but I guess fro springtime or fall it is a lovely place to stay ^Q^

Thanks for bringing us this Island closer \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”