Sanparks Tariffs

General Information & Discussions on South African National Parks
Jillinflorida

Re: IS SANPARKS PRICING ITSELF OUT OF THE LOCAL MARKET?

Post by Jillinflorida »

I too saw a vast increase in accommodation prices in the 18 months since I last visited. I also agree they seem to be marketing toward overseas visitors.

This last trip we stayed a week in the park and a week just outside the park and going in most days. I personally preferred staying IN the park - doubt that SANparks would listen to any of us, but it would seem fair that nationals of the country should get a discount on rates.

I saw a vast increase in all areas visited in the park - restaurants, accommodations, wild card. While there seemed to be an improvement in the restaurants, I didn't see any improvements in the accommodations that would warrant such a price hike.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Jillinflorida wrote:While there seemed to be an improvement in the restaurants, I didn't see any improvements in the accommodations that would warrant such a price hike.
Hi JIF. Thank you - you have hit the nail on the head. Prices go up but the standards go down.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

They have also made some of the 4 bed accommodation a base rate of 4 where it used to be 2.

Nkambako Bungalow FQ4 in Olifants was R1115 in June this year, next year March it is R1600, their explanation is that the base rate used to be 2, they have made it 4 and then an increase on top.
So 2 people rented it in June this , then again next year there would be a 45% increase and you have to pay for the 2 virtual people you are going to be sharing with next year. I have not checked others, but you will probably find this is not the only example.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Go back 5 years STF, prices have doubled, but it's the same unit :-? :-? :-? How is that justified -O-

That's crazy Robert :shock:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

There's a topic already STF, called SANParks Tarriffs
Bushcraft wrote:I have just returned from 9 nights in KNP and my accommodation for 2 adults and 3 kids under the age of 12 was R 14 783.37 and this included 3 nights in the "cheap" Lower Sabie huts.

If I booked the same trip for next year April it would cost me R 17003.35

If one considers the maintenance issues with many units, I don’t know how SANParks can justify these price increases over the last 5 years as the accommodation costs have doubled in that time.

Sorry, I’m not trying to point out all the “doom and gloom”, but Kruger is no longer affordable unless you camp and it’s going to force me to look elsewhere for a family holiday, or only go once a year O/

steamtrainfan

Re: Sanparks Tariffs

Post by steamtrainfan »

I posted my thoughts on this topic under The Boma.

Thanks to B.C. for re-directing me here.

I am very sad to have to say that my visit in August 2014 will be my last as I can no longer afford the tariffs.

Flutterby - with regard to Pilanesberg I must say that I do not agree with you. I have just booked 2 x 5 sleepers for 18 and 19 December 2013 at Bakgatla for R1704.00 per unit per night including breakfast and DSTV. It must also be noted that these units are a far better quality than SANParks.

A FU5 at Lower Sabie for 5 people is R1731.00 without breakfast or DSTV.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

steamtrainfan wrote: A FU5 at Lower Sabie for 5 people is R1731.00 without breakfast or DSTV.
I have stayed in both the FU5 units at LS and they are definitely not worth that.

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

I am willing to a pay anything to go to "Uncle Paul's farm" BUT at this moment we are not getting the same standards that we pay for.

They must get their act together or else alot will stay outside Kruger - O/ O/ O/

Somewhere in Kruger
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

steamtrainfan wrote:Flutterby - with regard to Pilanesberg I must say that I do not agree with you. I have just booked 2 x 5 sleepers for 18 and 19 December 2013 at Bakgatla for R1704.00 per unit per night including breakfast and DSTV. It must also be noted that these units are a far better quality than SANParks.
Tx for that STF...perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. \O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:Tx for that STF...perhaps I was looking in the wrong place
Hi F.B. - This is where I booked:

www.bakgatlaresort-pilanesberg.com/

Return to “South African National Parks in General”