Kesheshe

Re: Extended KTP Trip oct 2013

Post by Kesheshe »

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Beautiful!!!!!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

For those following the drama on the webcam over the last 2 days it is strange that I am at this point on my trip report. These photos of female Langklaas mating where in October 2013. The gestation period for leopard is around 100 days this would mean that any cubs would be young so I am hoping this may have something to do with her condition but I do not think so it is more hope.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Fantastic sightings!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Wow pics \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What a shame about such a beautiful and seemingly perfectly healthy leopardess...
Can't believe how fast things went downhill for her - and she was only (not quite) 9. :-(

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

RIP

an email just received from Brent Whittington, Section Ranger at Nossob. Brent, thank you so much for your very prompt and thorough response, we appreciate the time you took to inform us, and also all the great work that you do at Nossob!

The leopard was first reported on Monday morning to be weak and had apparently fallen out of a tree that a Lioness had chased it up. The leopard stayed around the Nossob hide / waterhole since then and got progressively weaker. An incident whereby the same lioness and her ±4 month old cub confronted the leopard ended with a single charge from the lioness but nothing further happened.
I monitored the leopard numerous times per day since I was made aware in order to attend to the problem as efficiently as possible.
This morning first thing we noticed that she no longer was breathing so we removed her and conducted a post mortem.

Nothing too abnormal was noticed, her teeth were in good condition, her heart and lungs seemed normal but the liver had bubbles in which might /might not mean anything. She had a placenta which suggest that she was possibly pregnant at some stage. Upon opening it there was no foetus but rather a smelly milky substance. Samples of the heart, lungs, liver, kidney and placenta were taken, blood smears were also made. This will all be sent down to the Park Manager and he will then forward the samples to the state vets for diagnosis and hopefully a confirmed cause of death.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

How sad :-(

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Sounds as if the mating had been successful. :-(

RIP, Langklaas. O0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Tina

Post by Tina »

this is so sad :-(

thank you for the additional information, Kesheshe.

10.03. - 24.03.2015 From Berg to bush
19.11. - 01.12.2015 KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”