Addo Outings 2017

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Re: Addo Outings 2017

Post by PJL »

Our outings to Addo have been so limited this year it has been frustrating O/ lol

But we finally managed to sneak a bit of a day trip in last weekend - after some initial school sport commitments. The park is looking very green and healthy which is good to see :yes:

Josie was seen in the early morning (minus the cubs) near the windmill dam, but by the time we got there she wasn't to be seen.... instead there was a muddy looking buffalo and a close up black headed heron \O

The park seemed very full of kudu as well - including some very nice bulls

Water seemed somewhat limited in the south of the park, but this may have something to do with the park management's plan to try and make certain waterholes unavailable to elephants (see here: http://www.heraldlive.co.za/news/2017/0 ... ty-jumbos/). So it was not surprising that Ngulube waterhole had a chap drinking

Something that has amazed me over the years is how the zebra population in the park has changed. There used to be very few zebra, and they would only ever be seen at a distance, but now there are plenty of good herds, and they aren't afraid of vehicles any more O:V

The 2 cheetah had made a kill up at Carols rest in the morning, and despite their bloated tummies they were still enjoying their meal later in the afternoon O/\

Not even elephants bothered their meal

Little did we know at the time, but that was our last ever sighting of the cheetah. They were captured later that evening and moved to Phinda private game reserve

On our way back out the park we went in search of Josie and her cubs but they weren't to be seen. It was already going dark when we decided on a last loop around Mbotyi on the way out and it turned out to be a good decision. First up a ghost-like eland O:V

And then coming round a corner we slammed on brakes for a caracal in the road. O\/ O\/
It was stalking a mouse, but as we came to a stop the mouse ran one way and the caracal dived off the road into the bushes 0*\
We waited a while and after it didn't appear we carefully scanned the bushes next to the road... and with a bit of luck it was still there. The light was terrible, but thankfully the caracal stood motionless in the bushes for a few moments before totally disappearing...

We were stoked with that sighting - I haven't had one stay still long enough to photograph in over a year :shock:
Last edited by PJL on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I haven't had one stay still long enough to photograph in over a year :shock:
I have never even seen one :O^ ^0^

Beautiful Kudu \O

A pity that they have removed the cheetahs :-(

Nice to be back in Addo O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

love the Zebras in a row O/\
and Cheetahs... for the last time :-(
then Caracal O\/

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I was actually surprise to see those huge posters about the water restrictions and then looking at Addo being so green.
How does that go together? -O-

Like nan, I also l really like that zebra shot. I would have like to nominate it for the landscape thing, but then Lis would have taken the mickey lol

Is cheetah number 3 still in the boma? I find it a bit strange that the other two are still out and about and 10 days ago or so, when I last looked at the sightings on Facebook,
I found that they are seen rather regularly. So I assume it would be easy to round them up and return them to their mate O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote:I was actually surprise to see those huge posters about the water restrictions and then looking at Addo being so green.
How does that go together? -O-
The dam levels are still very low unfortunately. We've had quite a few days of storms which have dumped big amounts of water over Addo but missed PE and the catchment areas entirely 0*\
Mel wrote:Is cheetah number 3 still in the boma?
Remember they were all captured last year? Then they escaped.... well I don't have (and never will get) an 'official' version of what happened, but it seems that the 3rd cheetah didn't take well to the darting and ended up dying as a result :-( :-(

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Yeah, I remember that they were all captured... But the third one was collared, wasn't he? And weren't there still reports of him?
(Unfortunately, I can't remember where exactly I saw that - too much Internet these days 0*\ :o0ps: )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

poor... poor Cheetah nr 3 :-(

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I haven't had one stay still long enough to photograph in over a year :shock:

Ag shame, man... :-(

A red buffalo, looks like the forest species! lol

\O Peej!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Brilliant PJL,

amazing sightings, especially the cheetah, eland and caracal plus brilliant photography ^Q^ :-0 :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Stunning caracal sighting! ^Q^ ^Q^

Sad that you won't see the cheetah again. :-(

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”