Open Safari Vehicles in Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Open Safari Vehicles in Kruger - New Trend

Post by Richprins »

I'm not necessarily uncomfortable with the concept of having OSV's coming in maybe 30 mins earlier OFF season, for example...as an experiment?

I'm uncomfortable with the reasoning/justification behind it, and the lack of official SP announcement about anything regarding this! :evil:

There is absolutely no justification for them to leave the Park after gate closing time. Most leave at staggered intervals during the afternoon anyway...this would just be an extra "sunset drive" perk!

There is also no reason for them to use no-entry roads. Even SANParks drives rarely use these roads for night drives, as the idea is for tourists to experience the change in bush life compared to daytime animals they may have encountered on the same roads.

It is utterly irresponsible to say that private OSV's could add "extra eyes" on these and other roads in the fight against rhino poaching, especially at night! :O^ 0-

It has nothing to do with them, and in fact most OSV's use the South...effectively a war zone in the dark. All one needs is for one foreign tourist to be killed by a poacher or friendly fire, and Bye bye Kruger Moneyspinner! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

All up above definitely in line with comments 2022 mission statements
together with the PDZ strategy,..their mission being total control over
all movement in the park!!!

Heh,.. H.e
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Richprins wrote:It is utterly irresponsible to say that private OSV's could add "extra eyes" on these and other roads in the fight against rhino poaching, especially at night! :O^ 0-

It has nothing to do with them, and in fact most OSV's use the South...effectively a war zone in the dark. All one needs is for one foreign tourist to be killed by a poacher or friendly fire, and Bye bye Kruger Moneyspinner! :evil:
You don't even have to think about possible casualties... Just the mere thought of game drives actively supporting the anti-poaching campaign is totally ridiculous and is nothing more than an empty phrase to justify the presence of OSVs in the dark. 0-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Are the OSV's now in fact going in EARLIER than Tourist camp gates open??? ie take Orpen area ..One of the great benefits is to get out of Tamboti first and onto the H7 FIRST ...ok sometimes you get the early morning SANParks drive ex Orpen's Red shining tail lights far up front..I soon get past that as I hate anyone in front of me before sunrise SWEEPING the roads of everything apart from nightjars...I take the effort of booking and paying 11 months in advance and parking at the gate 45 - 60 mins before opening time so I do NOT approve of freeloaders getting in first ...Anyway up until last Aug my last trip I only got the OSV's coming in on my way home as they were driving in ......7 OSV's getting in before Tamboti Gates open ..I can kiss sightings like this good bye after I have been planning and researching for a year to get such sightings: .....

The only answer is then ...GO NORTH ...no OSV's YET :evil:

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I agree Polentswa...being first on a road definitely gives you an advantage.

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

The other thing it could do is bring down the number of vehicles per km formula that gets used for gate numbers. If you add the no entry roads into the equation it lowers the average and then they could allow more vehicles in.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

RobertT wrote:The other thing it could do is bring down the number of vehicles per km formula that gets used for gate numbers. If you add the no entry roads into the equation it lowers the average and then they could allow more vehicles in.
Good point RT ..0.. I don't put anything past SANParks nowadays :evil:

If this goes ahead then there’s no point in staying at any camp within 30km of an entrance gate as any major sighting would have been chased away or have 20 OSV’s around it by the time a paying overnight guest can get there 0-

Extended hours...what does that mean O** Unless gate times change it would mean driving in the dark :-?

What makes OSV operators and “their” guests more special than overnight guests -O-

Lock them out the park until an hour after gate opening and make them leave an hour early. Also make them pay a massive annual registration fee and make “their guests” pay double for the entrance fee. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Alf

Post by Alf »

Now you will get people who will see the OSV driving on these no entry roads and they will also follow thinking it's fine to drive there 0*\

Are they now more important than the paying big money overnight visitors?? You will also find people that will see them staying out later and think they can too O/

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

OSV's are not included under gate quotas, for some reason....no idea why? :-?

Also, the new deal will not incur any extra costs for operators.

Regarding the inference that this is being "considered"...and not a fact...that is irrelevant. The implications remain perfectly valid whether it gets implemented or not!

One thing not mentioned in the article is that OSV's are looking at a separate entrance lane at gates that can accommodate that, a very good idea! O/\

One operator got his vehicle manually bashed by an irate tourist while waiting in the queue recently, just for being an OSV! :twisted:

So many sides to the story!

AW raised this whole business of entry times with media, it would not have been responded to by Mr Phillips in the article otherwise...more to come! ;-)

Likewise, our member Groovy was recommended to media as the most reputable operator we know of, as mentioned. X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Richprins wrote:One thing not mentioned in the article is that OSV's are looking at a separate entrance lane at gates that can accommodate that, a very good idea! O/\
Why should OSV's get preferential treatment? :-? They are mostly the ones who cause all the chaos at sightings. 0*\ Ban them all! :twisted:

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”