Alaska - a trip to remember

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
nan

Re: Alaska - a trip to remember

Post by nan »

remember something we have here :-?
first Brown Bear O/\ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
okie

Post by okie »

Hmmmm. Nan , you are not talking about those bears that used to be kept in those below-ground cages in Bern , are you :shock:

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

okie wrote:Hmmmm. Nan , you are not talking about those bears that used to be kept in those below-ground cages in Bern , are you :shock:
=O: =O: =O: NO... 0*\
and these cages no longer exist... what a shame :o0ps:
now there is a park along the river... but still a fenced park

no, I think to the snow, ice, mountains 0*\

and we have 1,2... maybe 3 wild Bears (coming from Italia)... but hunters kill them 0- 0=

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Nice to 'meet' Mr and Mrs okie 0/*

Looks like a marvellous trip! Already some nice wildlife and the landscape is really beautiful. :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The bisons must be quite impressive :shock:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
pooky

Post by pooky »

Wow galloping along there okie \O \O

Awesome scenery, but it certainly looks very chilly still ^Q^ ^Q^

Nice to see some wild life too ^Q^ ^Q^

Really enjoying this \O \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
okie

Post by okie »

Yukon Territory

I do not know what the difference in Canada is between a Province , and a Territory . Maybe something political . Anyway , Yukon is a Territory , and covering an area of around 480 000 square kilometres , that is about 40 % of the area of South Africa , yet , the Yukon’s population numbers less than 40 000 people . Certainly not many people around , and if you are really yearning for peace and quiet ( and away from your neighbours ) , then this is the place to be O** .

The first “ major “ town you get to after crossing into Yukon Territory , is Watson lake ( population about 700 ) , and basically just a widish place in the Alaska Highway . The place has its claim for fame for two things , namely ( 1 ) the northern lights centre , and (2 ) The Signpost Forest .
The northern lights centre give daily shows , in season of course , of the nightsky , and specifically scenes including the Aurora Borealis . Its really something special and worthwhile to see O:V !
Probably more wellknown , is the Signpost Forest . During the building of the Alaska Highway in 1942 , a soldier felt very homesick , and put up a signpost of his hometown , showing name , distance etc . And ever since that time , travellers have been putting up signposts with their hometown details on it . According to Wikipedia , at last count in 2011 , their were more than 76 000 signposts :shock: . Just have a look at this :

Signs wherever you look . Hundreds , thousands of signs 0- .

Of course , we just had to put up a sign too , to show where we come from , but not out of homesickness . More a case of “ been there , done that “ , you know ? ;-)

And , looked and searched , but did not see one single sign from South Africa . Obviously not a very popular tourist attraction for Saffies :O^

I just could not resist also taking a pic of this sign on a local guy’s bakkie :-)

The next day , we continued our trip to Whitehorse , the largest city in Yukon . Not a very big place as you can imagine O** .

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The signpost forest is something ..................... :-? :twisted: =O: ( Good looking SO ;-) )

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks okie

So if I ever get there must take a ZA sign with me.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Really interesting!! \O \O

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”