Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger September 2021

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks Pumbaa, Lisbeth,Harry, RP and Roger for commenting X#X

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

30th Skukuza

We woke to another gloomy overcast day, in fact we never had sun again on this trip and the weather just deteriorated a little each day.
We decided to head towards Kruger Gate this morning, down the S3, S4, S1 and H11 back to camp.

The early morning gang from Skukuza all turned down towards the H4-1 or went straight onto the H1-1, so we were the 1st car on the H11 towards Kruger Gate and immediately stopped for a scallywag next to the road.

1.jpg
1.jpg (191.63 KiB) Viewed 275 times

I slowed in the area of the staff village to look for that leopard local, but he wasn’t around, so we lost interest and all started jabbering about something without paying too much attention to our surroundings when suddenly out of the blue the Cow started her hand waving exercise, but no words came out, however I have learnt over the years that when the hands go that something important had been seen, so I started to stop.

Then the words came

“LEOPARD!”

“What! Where?”

“RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!”

“S@*t”

The leopard was in full stalk mode on the right-hand side of the road and there were impala on the left-hand side of the road.

2.jpg
2.jpg (200.08 KiB) Viewed 275 times

I quickly switched the car off and we sat dead still, but the impala slowly started to move off, however they had no idea that a leopard was just on the other side of the road.

“Their back is turned he needs to go now”

After a few more tense seconds, the leopard’s body language started to relax, so I knew then that he wasn’t going to go, which I found strange as it was almost a done deal. Maybe our arrival unfortunately stuffed up his train of thought?

2A.jpg
2A.jpg (175.98 KiB) Viewed 275 times

The impala continued to move off deeper into the bush and out of sight. The leopard then started to check us out instead and Bushpig managed to take some close-up shots with her point and shoot camera.

3.jpg
3.jpg (166.27 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

4.jpg
4.jpg (188.41 KiB) Viewed 275 times

6.jpg
6.jpg (193.7 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Minutes later we could see another car approaching from the Kruger Gate side.

“Oh no, there’s another car coming”

It was 2 young guys and the “t*@ts” stopped with their front wheel 2m from the leopard and then the passenger got out and sat on the vehicle window which instantly spooked the leopard.

“Sh1t, HEY, get in your car!”

The damage had been done and the leopard snuck off with speed into the grass.

I lost my marbles, started the car, and drove over to them.

“HEY, you do realise that you just stuffed up that entire sighting because you hung out the car!”

Blank faces gazed back at us

“Idiots!”

My focus changed back to finding the leopard, so we continued forward slowly while scanning the bush.

“THERE!”

He popped back out onto the road just ahead of us and quickly crossed. Fortunately, Bushpig was fast enough with her point and shoot because I had my 500mm lens on and just got spots.

7.jpg
7.jpg (137.25 KiB) Viewed 275 times

We watched the leopard while he cruised off down an animal path and disappeared.

A train of cars was now approaching from the Kruger Gate side, so we changed our plans and decided to head for the S79 causeway with the hope that we could find the leopard cubs again.

The H4-1 down to the causeway produced a few of the usual gang but it was generally rather quiet.

I approached the leopard cub area slowly, but a clan of scallywags was in the exact same area and there was no sign of the leopard cubs, however the interaction of the clan members was highly entertaining.

8.jpg
8.jpg (185.03 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Last edited by Bushcraft on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

9.jpg
9.jpg (172.33 KiB) Viewed 275 times

The hyena moved all around our car and the 1 teenage hyena stopped next to Albert

“Look at this one checking me out, I’m calling him Ed!”

10.jpg
10.jpg (151.87 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Ed the hyena and clan moved off into the riverbed, so we continued on towards Lower Sabie as everybody wanted a pitstop.

As we approached Lubyelubye it was clear that something was on the go as there were 5 or 6 cars stopped next to the side of the road.

It was “Sausage” and he had made a kill during the night.

11.jpg
11.jpg (196.54 KiB) Viewed 275 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (201.86 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

There were just too many people to enjoy the sighting, so after a few minutes we moved on, but there was another bunch of cars just up the road.

“Lion, right there, next to the road”

13.jpg
13.jpg (171.54 KiB) Viewed 274 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (213.64 KiB) Viewed 274 times

The lion started to move off down into the riverbed after 5 minutes and everyone now really needed a pitstop, so I ducked for Lower Sabie.

We decided to dodge the Lower Sabie pot pies and to rather head back to the Golf Club for toasted sarmies.

To be continued

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There are far too many people who do not know how to behave when there are animals around 0*\ Strange, because it's only a question of common sense :-? -O-

Albert likes to have a personal relationship with the animals. Giving them names must be her way ;-)
0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

0: 0:

Such larney sightings, Bushy! ^Q^

That first leopard is an absolute beaut! :yes:

And great pics from Bushpig! [O]

I like your new word "entraining"! =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

Great sightings all round BC ^Q^ ^Q^

I'm sure we must have crossed paths with some of your lion and leopard during our July trip lol

Was the 'cool older couple' by the S3 leopard sighting mutual friends U&M? Or just some new acquaintances?

Had to laugh about your freezing conditions on the way up... best pack your slippers next time ;-) =O: =O:

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

And again incredible leopard luck, Bushcraft :-0 :-0

besides the idiots at the car window 0*\ 0*\ 0*\

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Fantastic O/\ O/\ O/\

Really enjoyed this TT so far , and thank you for your 2021 annual Cats & dogs census!

Your sightings just out of this world O\/

0()

Somewhere in Kruger

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”