Bicycles in Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Flutterby

Re: Bicycles in our Parks

Post by Flutterby »

iNdlovu wrote:Are you perhaps suggesting that people don't want the above, that they want a holiday resort type destination where amusement for their kids and themselves is more important than the wildlife experience.
Well, isn't that exactly what Dr Mabunda said when interviewed on Projek Aardwolf?? When the interviewer said something like "surely people go to a game reserve to enjoy wildlife, and not to play golf or lie in a hotel room", he said "no, this was an out-dated, purist attitude" or something to that effect!!! 0*\ 0*\

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Spot on, Fluts. I also recall the demeanour that accompanied those words.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
dup

Post by dup »

This is my opinion on conservation in Kruger Nas Park,

With some of the daily activities in the Park we already past the point of Conservation and is totally focus on commercialization.
Let me try to explain with a few short examples /situations;
a. I grow up with the understanding that you must not use a spotlight onto some animals eyes at night,like owls.Presently spotlights are used by everybody on any thing. The point is not if spotlights are bad for owls or not.But the Park activities pic up from nothing in the veld after dark to only a few hours of silence.Not even talking about the taxis ,logistic trips and private lodges. If you want a surprise slept in front of a gate Like Numbi.
b. Footprint is measure on some way , good enough ,but is the footprint of al the activities calculated together.e.a.Bushbraais, consession trips also these of areas like Timbavati, hunting in some of the concession areas like the Timbavati,4x4 trails,etc,etc

I am not saying turn the clock back, NO , but I am saying be realistic,be honest and transparent with the public and base decisions on scientific findings and not "statistics"and "survival economics". O/

Stop buying frackers products,now !!!
Biyamiti camp-Nov 2017- with family and friends
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Sorry if I am repeating myself, but after I have read Dr. Mabundas thesis, I have no illusions whatsoever about the future of the Kruger National Park. The minor parks will probably be spared, at least for a while, as they cannot produce the same revenue as KNP, but if the "wind" does not turn, their turn will come too!!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Flutterby wrote:
iNdlovu wrote:Are you perhaps suggesting that people don't want the above, that they want a holiday resort type destination where amusement for their kids and themselves is more important than the wildlife experience.
Well, isn't that exactly what Dr Mabunda said when interviewed on Projek Aardwolf?? When the interviewer said something like "surely people go to a game reserve to enjoy wildlife, and not to play golf or lie in a hotel room", he said "no, this was an out-dated, purist attitude" or something to that effect!!! O/ O/
Then if they do succeed in pushing the hotel thing through it will be a white elephant. If I want a resort type holiday I can think of a lot better places to go other than a hot, dry dusty, bush venue. What's wrong with places like the coast, Drakensburg, Sun City etc. Oh ja......SanParks doesn't make money out of them :evil: Personally I think the whole 'black diamond' angle is a huge smoke screen to gain support from the multitudes, they are actually angeling for overseas visitors who might want more luxurious accommodation than the current camps offer. But then why aren't the concession lodges running at full capacity?

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

(From the Sanparks Forum)
Answer from Sanparks:
The policy is that no skateboards, roller skates and bicycles are allowed in the park. It seems with time, some of the camps however relaxed this rule in order to accommodate children but there is always a possibility of conflict both in terms of noise and fellow guests’ not observing children on bicycles. In the past, camps like Berg en Dal would put notices to make people aware of children playing around with bicycles but it still became a problem during holidays with parents who could not attend to/control their children.

Yes it might not be easy to keep the modern child (especially hyperactive ones) occupied as TV and computers they are used to at home are not available to them here; but the environment in the camps does not allow the use of bikes. The status quo of the policy therefore remains

This problem is not going to go away by itself and visitors will keep on complaining about it and it makes life difficult for our staff to control a Park rule that we need to enforce. Firstly I will ensure for signage at camp entrance Gate to indicate that no bicycles are allowed. Secondly all reservation confirmations will indicate that the use of bicycles is not allowed .

Once again thank you very much for bringing all these issues to our attention and we would encourage you to continue to raise any issues of concern as your participation in the management of the park is of great importance to us.

Kind Regards

Michelle van der Merwe
Regional Tourism Manager, Nxanatseni Region, Kruger National Park
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Office No.: 013-7353510
Mobile No.: 0826019354
E-mail Address: michelle.vandermerwe@sanparks.org
Web address: http://www.sanparks.org

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Lis, this excerpt is not dated, but I was informed that this is a recent posting from Sanparks. Let's make a screen print and hang onto it for oblivion. :wink: I am surely taking one with me next time we visit Kruger.

I welcome this stance by Sanparks

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Hi sweetie!

It was posted this morning! I'll take a screen shot \O

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Well done SanParks. Now let's see the rule enforced unlike so many other rules that officials do not enforce. \O

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Theuns

Post by Theuns »

Some excellent arguments here, especially those directed towards Joep. However, my concerns are that he and/or SANParks will not take note of it here and if they do they won't post a reply here. :O^

Why don't you post those arguments on the SANParks forum as well so that they could take note of your concerns? :-)

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”