Nikon D7100 Announcement

Discuss the technical side of photography
BluTuna

Re: Nikon D7100 Announcement

Post by BluTuna »

When I got my D5100 I also looked at the D7000, they both have the same sensor and focusing setup, the D7000 had some more features that I didn't think I would use. The D5100 was R7,000, the D7000 was R10,000, not a difficult decision :-)

I agree, I'll also put up with noise to avoid blur, noise can be smoothed out when post-processing.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

BT, used with some forethought the U1 and U2 user modes and additional control wheel will transform your idea of what features a camera needs.

But my own choice was based on the need for a built-in focus motor. Both the lenses I had back then wouldn't AF on a D5100...

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I'm looking forward to trying out the U1/U2 modes. I already have some ideas for their use.

I didn't have the problem with the lenses as my previous film kit was Minolta and my first digital camera was a D5000 in 2009.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I have in my hot little paws, a brand spanking new Nikon D7200 - looks like it's going to be a photographic long weekend! O\/ O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

BluTuna wrote:I have in my hot little paws, a brand spanking new Nikon D7200 - looks like it's going to be a photographic long weekend! O\/ O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\
Next step FX ..I did 4 cameras ago and haven't looked back ...D700, D3 D3s and now D800

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

BluTuna wrote:I have in my hot little paws, a brand spanking new Nikon D7200 - looks like it's going to be a photographic long weekend! O\/ O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\
Great! Hope it works for you.
If one of your points of call is Rietvlei or Marievale, please give me a shout?

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Good luck & happy shooting with your new camera BT. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Peter Connan wrote:I would not have thought the D5100 is that far behind the D7000, but the D7200 will be a game-changer for you in so many other ways.

Having said that, it's always best to keep the ISO as low as possible, but nature is seldom obliging about making things happen in good light and I would far rather have a bit of noise than motion blur...
I shoot Manual everything but leave ISO on Auto but that means the camera MUST be able to climb to 12800 ISO or better still 25400 not like my current D800 which gives under exposed VERY noisy pics as it hits its ISO ceiling of 6400 at 40 mins before sunrise and gives an under exposed dark image too as the ISO NEEDS to go higher here. however was very happy with this manually exposed shot and ISO Auto @ 4000 of a Tamboti buff...maybe the D800 will stay with me awhile but I MISS the D3S badly !!

Pic taken with a 'NOISY' D800 @ 4000 ISO ..No Noise Nice but I can show you Tamboti lions EARLY @ 6400 ISO full of noise !! :evil:

VERY NOISY D800 Pic @ ISO 6400 (Underexposed as it needed more ISO to get the correct exposure and a SLOOOWW f5.6 lens didn't help either!! TERRIBLE shot

The Current low light KING by a long margin

Compare this with the ISO 4000 pic of the buff..Seems like the acceptable ISO ceiling on the D800 is 4000..I need 20 000 for pre dawn work ..Guess I need the D4S Low light camera KING ..no competition and a 2.8 lens like this what a dream for 06h00 gate openings at Tamboti in Aug!!

My Dream low light outfit for 1 hour pre sunrise pics in Kruger ..Nikon D4S + Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 lens ...no noise at ISO 20 000 enough for sharp well exposed pics ..ONE DAY!!!

The current low light King by a big margin ....Now what are those Lotto numbers again =O:

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Ahem.

Polentswa, I wish I could say I speak from experience here but sadly I have never touched the shutter button on any of these cameras except the D750 but have a look at this:

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d750/7

I accompanied Blue Tuna to Mariavale last weekend, and was very impressed with the noise of the D7200 at high ISO's. However, this was looking at the screen on the back of the camera, not downloaded to a computer, and I guess this is not very accurate. I was also very impressed in the AF speed, wich is subjectively at least twice as fast as the D7000.

Whether or not it is as good as the D750 (or at least how much worse it is), I can't say at the moment.

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Hi Pete ..Both the D7200 and D750 are awesome , far better in low light than the D800...Just the Buffer on the D750 could be small in hectic situations like a long Cheetah chase (Never had one lol )

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”