Sanparks Tariffs

General Information & Discussions on South African National Parks
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: SANParks tariffs 2014

Post by Mel »

I've said it elsewhere - in March 2010 we paid about R900 for a wilderness camp in KTP.
In March 2014 we will be paying about R1300 for the very same accommodation.

But at least they are as neat and tidy as you can expect with the sand getting blown
through any gaps into the units. AND the camp assistants do their utmost to keep
the units maintained with the little tools and materials they have.

Still, I think that it's too expensive and if SanParks keeps up their rate of price increases,
SA will soon be history for us as well.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Those prices are crazy!! 0-

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Sanparks Tariffs

Post by Richprins »

Something very fishy going on regarding SP finances. :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=1283

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Mel wrote:Still, I think that it's too expensive and if SanParks keeps up their rate of price increases,
SA will soon be history for us as well.
Now if the Western noses are finding it difficult to finance their next trip to a SANParks destination, how the hell will the "black diamonds" that they want to attract, and us "purists" even be able to consider a trip in the future??? 0-

Their long term goal is not to attract a "new client" base, but to do away with land currently being wasted on conservation. Just think how many people can be housed in this area, it even has the best roads in the country and there is still an abundance of food walking around. O-/

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I have done some research and found 4 star accommodation for less on the Croc river looking over KNP. :shock: :shock:

Does anyone have anything to share regarding this

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Sorry if I have missed something, but it is not only for 2014 that the prices have levitated. It has been going on since 2008/9. I have seen the same tendency in certain hotels and B&Bs too. 10% a year seems to be the rule, especially in the upper end 0*\ O/ Why? Obviously people are ready to pay that kind of money -O- If they stay empty I am sure that there would be a correction. Not too sure though if the same goes for Sanparks :-? They are not a private business, but with expensives having raised with 239% (I think) in 10 years, they sure need the money. Actually the entrances and expenses have followed a more or less parallel path. With an inflation of around 5% per year this is not realistic; moreover with a standard of accommodations worsening...........

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hello, Lis!

As explained previously, the price increases are above the inflation rate, with a ludicrous promise to keep it stable after that. SP's finances are a mess, and have been so for a couple of years, despite reliable "audits".

That "239%" figure from the Wild Magazine should be taken with a pinch of salt, to put it mildly! It includes all expenses over and above tourism.

The standard 10% increase is debatable with tourism destinations struggling worldwide?
Last edited by Richprins on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

I tried to have my french fries in one of their restaurants with a pinch of salt, but they had run out. :twisted:

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Toko

Post by Toko »

There you have it, Dewi, it is the tightening of the mandatory spending caps =O: =O: =O:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

-O -O

Return to “South African National Parks in General”