Browns in Kruger September 2021

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger September 2021

Post by Bushcraft »

We could only book in at Lower Sabie at 2pm and it was now only around 8am, so we decided to turn at Lubyelubye, stop at Nkuhlu for the loo and then visit our quiet hangout spot under trees in the shade (the same spot I dinged my car sump a few years ago on a rock that sticks up in the turning circle area) on the S30 about 5km down from the H12 bridge.

We stopped for a hyena on the first section of the S30 and then there were no other cars in our “spot”, so we pulled in, switched off, got out the snacks and watched the zebra and impala drinking, boons on the banks playing, squirrels around us in the shade, etc.

9.jpg
9.jpg (153.25 KiB) Viewed 220 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 220 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (159.32 KiB) Viewed 220 times

After relaxing for around half an hour we decided to move on to the Golf Club for a chow and to walk around for a leg stretch.

The club was surprisingly quiet and peaceful which was awesome, and they had a special running, 2 dops for the price of 1, so after navigating the Cow’s stern eyeballing carefully, I had my 2 dops, we chowed and then just parked off.

We left the Club at around midday and expected some chaos on the H4-1 due to traffic, but it was rather quiet which was probably since it wasn’t the school holidays yet, which is when we are normally in Kruger.

We stopped for a few locals on the H4-1 but only took pics of some lions crossing the Sabie just north of Lower Sabie.

12.jpg
12.jpg (195.97 KiB) Viewed 220 times

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

24th Skukuza to Lower Sabie continued

Our Lower Sabie book in went smoothly and we were soon checking out our EH2 accommodation.

I had researched for the most private EH2 unit numbers, and we got the numbers we asked for which was great. We normally book the EH3’s when at Lower Sabie but decided to try the cheaper EH2’s this trip since there were only 4 of us and they did look like they could be more peaceful, but they are very small and have zero utensils, so we missioned to fit everything in the units.

Albert visited the ablution which serves the EH2 units and came back with her nose touching her chin, so I went on a mission and found another bog about the same distance away in the camping section which provided a plan B.

The aircon’s were the oldest I have ever seen and funky looking, but they worked, so we all just cooled off in our units for the next hour as it was now 38 degrees.

At around 4pm we decided to drive up to the S79 causeway and back and just past Lubyelubye we found some cars and the bush couple were now in the open on the inland side of the road, but the lioness seemed to be trying to vomit on and off and the male was very disinterested.

13.jpg
13.jpg (212.76 KiB) Viewed 220 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 220 times

An elephant herd also arrived while we were sitting with the lions and this was making the Cow edgy and the odd “watch the ellies, the elephant are getting closer” comments started

15.jpg
15.jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 220 times

There was still a gap open between the cars, so I started up and continued towards the S79, however hit the brakes 150m later as 2 leopards appeared in a ditch on the river side of the road.

“Quick cameras, it’s Sausage and a girlfriend”

(Sausage is a particular leopard we gave our own “family name” to a few years ago).

16.jpg
16.jpg (184.17 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I moved forward slowly to were we had a better viewing gap, but Sausage’s girlfriend got a skrik unfortunately and took off into the reeds, however Sausage just parked off in the afternoon shade.

17.jpg
17.jpg (213.19 KiB) Viewed 220 times
18.jpg
18.jpg (230.16 KiB) Viewed 220 times

We hoped that the girlfriend would show up again, but cars started to build up and we realised that Sausage was also about to move off after her, so we headed on before it got too hectic traffic wise.

We did the dirt section of the causeway 1st and that produced a hyena crossing and then we stopped at N’watimhiri dam after looping back up the H4-1 tar because some Hammerkops were using a hippo as a hunting launchpad.

19.jpg
19.jpg (221.54 KiB) Viewed 220 times
20.jpg
20.jpg (175.3 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

We then found some more lion relaxing on the way back just past the causeway southern entrance and we all blamed each other for missing them on the way up 15 minutes earlier.

21.jpg
21.jpg (162.25 KiB) Viewed 220 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (172.21 KiB) Viewed 220 times

The next stop was the hyena den that Flutts had pointed out and our timing was perfect as juniors of various ages made an appearance and they seemed very calm with us around.

23.jpg
23.jpg (227.63 KiB) Viewed 220 times
24.jpg
24.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

25.jpg
25.jpg (198.74 KiB) Viewed 220 times

The rest of the short drive back to camp produced the male lion from earlier, but the lioness had moved off into the bush.

26.jpg
26.jpg (198.32 KiB) Viewed 220 times

We thanked our lucky stars later that evening because the EH3/EH4 accommodation had a group staying in the mix that thought it was a party spot, but we did feel sorry for those who were also staying there hoping for the night-time Kruger animal sound experience.

To be continued

harrys

Post by harrys »

Great to see you on the forum again BC X#X X#X

As usual you guys had wonderful sightings ^Q^ and what would a Browns trip be without lots of Leopards ^Q^ ^Q^

KNP: May be one day again??
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I had not realized how I have missed your TTs until I started reading. There is always lots of stuff for laughing...BTW you look terrific with the cow's slippers =O: =O:

You and your leopards....They never fail you, incredible :shock: :shock: The first might not have been on the first day, but there was one early on the next day and later one more 0:

Imagining Hawkeyes at university makes one realize how time is flying 0- What is she studying?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I started posting too early...

More leopards including "Sausage" O/\ O/\

Lovely pics of the hyenas and more lions :shock:

The accommodation sounds rather shabby :-(

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks so much Bushcraft,

for another Kruger report and for sure the leopard luck continued although without one on your very first day O** O** O**

Also the other sightings were nocht that bad either with all the lions and hyenas - Love the zebras in a row ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Ready for more 0()

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Yay, Bushyyyy! ^Q^ O/\ O\/

Great to have a new Clan story! :ty: 0/*

An experience at Lothair! :shock:

And you see now...too getting too old for no shoes! :X: =O:

The best time of year for Kruger, and sightings did not disappoint! X#X X#X

Nice you met Flutts and B! \O

I like the buffalo pic, plus the H11 pics are gorgeous! [O]

0() 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”