Re: Winter Migration To MZNP

Post by Pumbaa »

Incredible landscape shots, PJL \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
PJL

Post by PJL »

Flutterby wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:19 pm Lovely!! And so many different landscapes. \O
Thanks Flutts... the landscapes really are amazing. And totally different as you look in different directions. For a small park I'm amazed how varied the landscape can seem at times :-?
Lisbeth wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:19 am Beautiful scenery ^Q^ ^Q^

Are there no trees in MZNP?
Well that depends what you count as a tree lol lol
There are small trees... I guess more bush-like than tall-tree, and generally quite sparse \O
Richprins wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 am Varied scenery! O/\

And what a scar! O-/
Apparently the noise from the boulder could be heard all the way over in Cradock :shock: :shock:
Mel wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 pm Couldn't agree more about the beautiful landscapes! And with some fluffy sheep cloud it's even better.
I also love when the sun breaks through an almost covered sky in the late afternoon. Awesome colours
appear in the mountains (and beyond).

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks Mel. I know a few photographers who seem to do it justice but they are few and far between =O: \O
Pumbaa wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm Incredible landscape shots, PJL \O
Thank you Pumbaa \O \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Decent Distant Sightings

We had a number of really good sightings, with the only frustration being that they were quite far away O/ 0*\
In fact it felt for a while that we wouldn't get to see some of the more 'interesting' animals up close... but that's another story to come O** O**

On our first evening in the park whilst driving around Rooiplaat, D spotted something moving through the grass in the distance. After working out exactly where he was talking about it became clear there were two or three animals moving around, and on closer inspection they were definitely Aardwolf O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\

We moved along the road slightly to try and get a better view of them but they were really well hidden. These shots were about the best I could manage....

On our previous trip to the park we saw more black-backed jackal than we could count! This time however they seemed happy to take more of a distant appearance and they proved to be a lot harder to spot. This one was just sitting for a moment on the Sonnenrust trail before dashing away 0:

Whilst on the Juriesdam trail we again had a few far-off jackal sightings. This was probably the closest where it was absorbed in hunting mode allowing us to get a bit closer

I don't really need to say much about this other than it was our only sighting of the trip for a change.... still very special to see :-0

Roy and Nomad had been transferred from Addo to MZNP earlier in the year and so we were really keen to try and see how they were settling in. After a few days of lion drought we finally found them, but far away on a hillside with Roy's female companion. When we first saw them it was nearly the middle of the day so Nomad was flat out of view.

At then end of our afternoon drive we went back to them to see if they would move. As we arrived the lioness went for a bit of a wander - it was clear that she was one of the young girls who were born in the park a few years back.

The boys didn't seem keen to follow, but as we sat watching them we could hear roaring from another male down in the valley below them which finally pulled Nomad into view O/\ O/\

D certainly had a bit of luck spotting Aardwolf this trip. Whilst we were cruising along the main road he piped up that there was an Aardwolf right by the road that we had driven past O\/ O\/

Unfortunately reversing caused it to bolt fairly quickly and it was already trundling away by the time we got some pics... still - another Aardwolf is always special O/\ O/\

The last of these distant sightings was a bird of prey that we spotted on our final morning in the park. At the time I really couldn't make out what it was. Only after checking the pics at 100% resolution did I realise that it was a martial eagle carrying some kind of snack :-0 :-0

I have no idea how rarely or often they are seen in MZNP but my guess is that it's more on the rare side -O-

TBC

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What lovely sightings, Peej! O/\

Aardwolf again! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 0:

:-0 :-0 :-0

Interesting that the animals seem quite far away much of the time, so not too many tourists? -O-

Makes for nice scenic shots though! ..0..

:ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Wow! Not one aardwolf, but two ^Q^ ^Q^ How many are there in the park?

I am happy for you that you saw tour old friends, Normad and Roy \O Isn't it rare that two males stay together with one female -O- Maybe they are just three pals O** When I was a kid I only played with boys (climbing trees and playing cowboys and Indians) ;-) lol

Is that a black rhino?

A bit of a pity that such great sightings were too far away to really enjoy just looking at them, but stil O:V
0() 0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow, great sightings!! \O \O

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW and :-0 to your aardwolf sighting, PJL

plus lions as well - What incredibly exciting sightings and as always stunning shots X#X

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Now that was an incredibly successful day! Had you seen a cheetah on top of it,
it couldn't have gotten any better than this. lol Amazing! And makes me consider
even harder returning next year. It's been some time and I actually start missing
this place - and Addo ;-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 pm Now that was an incredibly successful day!
These sightings were over a few different days Mel... decided to do this TR by categories of some kind lol
However that second aardwolf sighting was not the only one that day ;-) O**

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, now that you remind me again… you said so at the beginning 0*\ :o0ps: lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”