Some true words - Tue Oct 11, 2011

Information and Discussions on Endangered Ecosystems
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Some true words - Tue Oct 11, 2011

Post by Lisbeth »

gmlsmit wrote:Some true words.

Allan Moorhead wrote the following as an Introduction to “Serengeti shall not die” authored by Dr. B. Grzimek during 1960, FIFTY YEARS ago.

I remember years ago having a conversation with Sir Osbert Sitwell in Italy, and in the course of it I mentioned that I was considering a journey to the temples of Angor-Wat in Indo-China but was finding some difficulty in making up my mind; for one thing the expense of the trip was very great. Sir Osbert made the lapidary remark “anyone who can go to Angor-Wat and does not is mad” I went, I was captivated.

If you have the money to spare go there, and do not delay too long for this spectacle may not be as enduring as stone temples.

From year to year the threat of extermination hangs over the wild animals, and it is very unlikely that our children will never see them as we see them now – in a vast procession of Zebra Blue-Wildebeest and Gazelles, moving across open plain, the Lions lying like cats in the sun with Hyaenas and Jackal nervously about them, the Vultures hovering in the immense sky and the blue hills in the distance.

Year after year the numbers of the herds grow less as the poachers and tribesmen attack them and make inroads upon their waterholes and grazing grounds.

There is insufficient money to police it properly, and the demand for land for agricultural and settlement purposes is steadily increasing everywhere in Africa.

One could argue that the tourist trade attracts much more money than the land itself could ever yield. One can protest that there is a moral duty to preserve this last of the great natural congregations of wild animals left in existence.

One can point out that once these beasts are killed, they can never be replaced; already mankind has exterminated unknown numbers of species of birds and beasts throughout the world.

None of this seems to make any difference. The African authorities, both black and white have decided that that the interest of human beings were paramount, and that wherever human beings are in conflict with wild life, it is the wild life that must go.

There is just one gleam of hope in this dismal story. All over the world, and indeed Africa itself, there exists a small group of men, naturalists, zoologists and others, who are determined to make a final outcry before all is irrevocably lost. If they can raise sufficient money for proper policing and other vital works, there is still a chance that they can persuade the authorities to take action.

In order to do this they must first arouse not only the interest but the conscience of those of us who are not as yet absolutely committed to the idea that human beings are the only living creatures who have rights upon this earth.

They must also have the power of evoking and of communicating something of the great beauty and the excitement of the Parks and Reserves, so that we all will wish to preserve them as an aesthetic object for the generations that lie ahead.

“Men other ideals for which they are willing to die: freedom, glory, politics, religion, the rulership, of their class or the expansion of national borders”.

“Millions feared Hitler and millions were enthralled by him. Millions laid down their lives for, other millions died fighting against him. Today when school children are asked questions about Hitler – most of them know very little about him, and cannot even name his henchmen . . .”

Men are easily inspired by human ideas, but they forget them just as quickly.

Only Nature is eternal, unless we senselessly destroy it. In fifty years time nobody will be interested in the results of the conferences which fill today’s headlines.

“But when fifty years from now a Lion walks into the red dawn and roars resoundingly, it will mean something to people and quicken their hearts whether they are bolsheviks or democrats, or whether they speak English, German, Russian or Swahili. They will stand in quiet awe as, for the first time in their lives they watch the mighty herds or even little groups wander across the plains and bush of Africa”.

“Is it really stupid to work for Zebras, Lions, and men who will walk this earth fifty years from now; and for those in a hundred or two hundred or three years’ time from now”.

Please decide for yourself.

Maybe you will agree with Alan and a few others including myself, that it is not too late yet. We can still make a change, but then we have to start soon.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Some true words - Tue Oct 11, 2011

Post by Lisbeth »

iNdlovu wrote:Aint that all the gospel truth and that's why we need to broaden our horizons and hopefully our speres of influence to encompass more than just the hotel issue. Gerhard you have almost single handedly fought the fight on the hotel issue. Know today that I for one am prepared to stand with you on all other issues that SanParks (and others) would carelessly and possibly ignorantly use to destroy our natural resources.
\O
serval wrote:Through its inability to realise the threats facing the wilderness the South African government is running a real risk of this becoming a reality , as one can see by the wanton waste of billions of rands on various "projects" , while they claim there is insufficient funding for the preservation of the KNP in its natural state .
Geza wrote:
Indeed. I think the problem here is that present goverment fail to realise that once the KNP no longer exists, the tourist trade will dry up to a large extent and with it, the influx of foreign currency. South Africa is a net importer of goods. We sell our minerals and other raw materials to foreign countries, who turn them into goods that we then import again.

It is my greatest fear that SA will end up very much like Zimbabwe. It scares me though, that the uneducated masses don't see this and support the ruling parties efforts to give them free handouts. They don't seem to realise that there is a limit to everything. Nature is a finite resource. Since it is so small the limited "gene pool" is under threat. The number of animals must be managed for KNP to be able to sustain itself.

Interference and developing KNP might have some short-term gains, but in the long run? Personally, I believe that the teeming masses will breed more unwanted children, and they will become a bigger drain on the economy, unemployment will increase and therefore crime will become more rampant.

Return to “Endangered Ecosystems”