We Won An MZNP Game Drive

PJL

We Won An MZNP Game Drive

Post by PJL »

Mountain Zebra National Park recently celebrated its 80th birthday, and we were fortunate to win a game drive voucher for 2 X#X

On the one hand it's fun to win things like that, but then of course you have to pay for accommodation to actually use it... and then pay for the kids to come along as well 0*\ O** O**

Not that I'm complaining too much - it was a great excuse for us to head back to MZNP for a few days. I went with very low expectations as I know it can sometimes be hard to find the elusive animals, and we had been so lucky on our last visit that I would have been quite happy this time if we just saw some ground squirrels lol

I managed to get a late booking on one of the chalets for the public holiday weekend, so we set off as soon as the kids were out of school on Friday to enjoy 3 nights in the park O/\ O/\

Fairly soon after we hit the road, I got a message through from one of the guides in Addo that the lions were snoozing close to the road on Vukani Loop. Curiosity got the better of us, so we convinced ourselves that it wasn't much of a detour to go through the park rather than round it =O: =O:

Sure enough, the lionesses had made a buffalo kill quite close to the road. Josie, Dawn, Duffy and the 3 cubs were all flat out after gorging themselves on the buff. One of the cubs was giving aunty Dawn a cuddle O:V

The adults were fast asleep, but fortunately a couple of the cubs were looking around for a while \O

There weren't too many people at the sighting, but someone had obviously parked badly or been parked in as some car horn sounds had the cubs on high alert --00--

Double trouble then gave us a nice pose O:V

After a while it all became too tiring for the youngsters and they flopped down again

It would have been nice to stay longer and watch the cubs when they were more active, but we were in entirely the wrong game reserve and had the bulk of our journey still to go O**
Last edited by PJL on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: We Won A Game Drive

Post by Mel »

When I first opened up here, I was like "Oh, my gosh, they allow so many lions in Mountain Zebra now?!"
So I had to go back to the beginning and actually read =O: what you had written here. Now it makes
perfectly sense... and, wowie... those cubs have grown and look really curious about life O/\ Pretty too ^Q^

Congrats on winning the drive X#X Like you said... at the end of the day it's an excuse... to visit a fantastic park :-0

(Since we'll be in KTP when the bookings open for my next autumn holiday, we're already making a plan
to return to Addo and Mountain Zebra then. Easier to get accomm and still totally wonderful parks to enjoy O:V )

0()

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: We Won An MZNP Game Drive

Post by Lisbeth »

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The cubs are in lovely condition! \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Coming to think of it: The cubs look all quite male... Are they males only or is there a girl too?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, this is a bit confusing, Peej! :-? :shock: O-/

lol

But good initiative there! X#X

This is a funny sort of a prize...what is the point? Where does one win that? 0:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

They earn a lot of money giving prizes like that =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

:yes:

PJL

Re: We Won A Game Drive

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote:When I first opened up here, I was like "Oh, my gosh, they allow so many lions in Mountain Zebra now?!"
So I had to go back to the beginning and actually read =O: what you had written here. Now it makes
perfectly sense... and, wowie... those cubs have grown and look really curious about life O/\ Pretty too ^Q^

Congrats on winning the drive X#X Like you said... at the end of the day it's an excuse... to visit a fantastic park :-0

(Since we'll be in KTP when the bookings open for my next autumn holiday, we're already making a plan
to return to Addo and Mountain Zebra then. Easier to get accomm and still totally wonderful parks to enjoy O:V )

0()
Sorry for the (intentional) confusion there lol lol
Not only a lot of lions, but Addo is much greener than MZNP at the moment :yes:
Mel wrote:Coming to think of it: The cubs look all quite male... Are they males only or is there a girl too?
They're all male Mel \O
Lisbeth wrote: 0()
Nice to have you checking in Lis O0
Flutterby wrote:The cubs are in lovely condition! \O
They sure are. I'm still amazed how well the lions do in Addo.... much lower mortality rate than elsewhere \O
Richprins wrote:Ja, this is a bit confusing, Peej! :-? :shock: O-/

lol

But good initiative there! X#X

This is a funny sort of a prize...what is the point? Where does one win that? 0:
Yep sorry for the confusion RP lol
They had a number of FB competitions running as part of their 80th birthday celebrations, but this one was a somewhat hidden SP forum one O**
Like others have said, it's all just a money making scheme, but we had been planning to get back to MZNP soon so this was good incentive :yes:

PJL

Post by PJL »

The rest of our drive up to MZNP was fairly smooth, but arriving at the gate at 4:30pm gave us little time to explore that evening. We decided to just do a detour round Ubejane loop on our way to the camp. It was becoming great golden Karoo light for photography, so pretty much everything got snapped along the way [O]

First up was a pale chanting goshawk O:V

Peering out of the bushes nearby was gemsbok catching the evening light O\/

The kids were very happy to see their first ground squirrels of the trip, but the squirrels weren't hanging around for long on this occasion

The main pan on Ubejane had a decent amount of water which was totally different to our last two visits when it was completely dry :shock:
There was quite a bit of activity by the waterhole every time we went past, and this first evening there was a jackal scampering around plus some first views of the iconic mountain zebra as well as a couple of blue cranes O/\

We saw plenty of yellow mongoose this trip, but for some reason every time I pointed my camera at them they ran off 0=
This became something of a running joke throughout the trip... so this was the one and only shot I managed to get this time :o0ps: :-? 0:

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”