A Wandering Migrant in Cape Point NP

Michele Nel

A Wandering Migrant in Cape Point NP

Post by Michele Nel »

A Wandering Migrant at Cape Point ??? Hah..got you all there. :-) The Wandering Migrant is myself..I arrived back in South Africa last weekend from spending 6 weeks in New Zealand. In my absence my Birding Buddies had bought a new car. And this car...aptly named Dusty...needed to be inspected by myself and what better way than to take it on a birding jaunt. We opted for Cape Point as we had not been there in a while. The morning started off quite misty but it soon cleared into one of those beautiful Autumn Cape days. Needless to say Dusty has my approval O/\ – the back seat has ample of room for my cameras etc. \O What kind and considerate friends I have that take me into account when buying a new car. 0/0  We hit the road and before too long we were at the entrance to Cape Point. This is when I discovered that I had neglected to bring my handbag along so I was not in possession of my wild card, nor my wallet..nor my glasses. :evil: I’m not entirely sure where my head was when we left home but luckily for some of us others of us were able to pay R125.00 to get me into Cape Point. We had driven all the way there so I just had to grit my teeth and pay the entry fee.
We made our way to Olifantsbos and we were pleased to see how well the vegetation had recuperated since the devastating fires of March 2015. Many Orange-breasted Sunbirds were flitting around the bushes but proved impossible to capture on camera. Just before arriving at the beach at Olifantsbos we saw 3 Klipspringers on top of the ridge. They looked quite relaxed and were unaware of the cameras firing away at them. It is the first time I have seen Klipspringers in the park. \O

Two White-necked Ravens flew overhead but we were more interested in the Jackal Buzzard that put in an appearance. It flew towards us and just hovered in the air…looking from left to right clearly looking for a snack. It flew off without finding anything to catch.

We walked along the beach which was covered in smelly kelp. :shock: Birdlife consisted of Sacred Ibis, Oystercatchers, Kittlitz’s Plovers, Cape Wagtails, Familiar Chats, Cape Bulbuls and a few Mousebirds. When we got back to the carpark a photo session was in order…

Rob and Rookie alongside Dusty.

Image cell photo

Lots of laughter over silly selfies ensued – so much so that we almost missed the Peregrine Falcon that flew over our heads.
Our next stop was the Visitor’s centre. This is really a lovely spot in Cape Point …especially when the Aloes are in flower.

Image cell photo

We had hoped to find a Cape Grassbird but we dipped on that. But two Kestrels, a Black-shouldered Kite, Cape Buntings, Cape Sugarbirds, Malachite Sunbirds, Southern Boubou and a Bokmakierie kept us entertained.
This cute little Bunting was determined to show me his best side…

Up next was the Southern Boubou.

The two Rock Kestrels were putting on a good show for us but somehow or other I never got a decent shot of them. :evil: I faired a bit better with the Black-shoulderd Kite though.

There was much activity around the Aloes…

Image Cape Sugarbird

Image Malachite Sunbird

A few baboons were mooching around as well – they were not too interested in us. Thank Goodness.
We then moved onto Buffelsbay . Not many birds around apart from Gulls, Swift Terns, a Cormorant or two and the ever bobbing Wagtails. A few Dassies were enjoying the warmth from the sun.

The late afternoon light lends itself to some lovely photos. This is when I noticed that I had not replaced the card in my other camera :evil: :evil: :evil: …so I took a few scenic shots with my cell phone

And our shadows…

With that it was time to head off home…
A lovely afternoon spent in a beautiful park right on our doorstep.
Well worth the R125.....

nan

Re: A Wandering Migrant in Cape Point NP

Post by nan »

0/* Rob and Rookie... and Dusty ^Q^

no valet, no wildcard, no memory card 0*\ and your head :-? --00--
happily you had some beautiful pictures with your cellphone ^Q^ but where is the Peregrine 0*\
nice to see Klipspringers here O/\
love the Bunting O\/

^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
harrys

Post by harrys »

Some beautiful photos ^Q^ ^Q^

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Toko

Post by Toko »

I love the puffed up Cape bunting and the Aloes O:V

Nice birdmobile ^Q^ ^Q^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Wow, Michele, once again superbe photos! Even those taken with your cell phone are really, really good! \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

What a lovely outing with great sightings and pics to prove it. \O

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

In facto a couple of amazing bird shots, Michele :-0 ^Q^ O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”