/Ai/Ais-Richtersveld April 2015

Bushveld Jock

Re: /Ai/Ais-Richtersveld April 2015

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Toko wrote:Loveley views O:V O:V O:V
:ty: Southern part of Namibia can change so quickly from boring moon landscape to amazing canyons. Hope you enjoy the next episode as much as the Richtersveld part. \O

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Mel wrote:Not much to say about that... Breathtaking!!! :-0
:ty: Glad you like it. It worth a trip to plan together with you next KTP outing. \O

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

nan wrote:for me, some are a bit "glacial"
some others ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Must be the moon nan that changed it. Amazing to see the sunset and the moonrise not long after that.
Richprins wrote:Superb scenery again, BJ....sort of like "Lord of the Rings" SA style! \O

And so much water...is there a weir further down?

(WN's must be amazed at how we Saffies love seeing a river flowing! lol )

Lots of insects? :twisted:
Luckily no too many. Showed Moshi a pan I've buckled while trying to fry hamburger patties on the Namakwa 4x4 route near the Big Melkhoutboom. We found scientist there busy with a fly count. Their timing were perfect, while ours not and left the camp after trying to prepare lunch without adding more protein. =O: =O: =O: Good things the pan went up in flames separating the cruchy part from the patty. :twisted:

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Day 7:Sendelingsdrift to Ai/Ais and Fish River Canyon

The day started off waiting for the border officials to arrive at Sendelingsdrift. They are open from 8:00 to 18:00, while the Namibian side is open from 07:00 - 17:00. Before we could get the passport stamped, the goat herder of Sendelingsdrift with his flock passed us on his way down to Pootjepram.

It was now time to leave the Richterveld side of the park. There was no one else crossing so we were the first over and some-one could not take a second trip to take a photo of us crossing while standing on the other side. I do have a pic taken the previous day of a car crossing. Its actually quite fast and within a few minutes you are in Namibia.

After going through the border post in Namibian side, you take a right turn instead of heading towards Rosh Pinah. At this point you will find a gate, but it was opened and we could continue along a wide gravel road. The road crosses the Fish river a little bit more than halfway to Aussenkehr, the largest grape farm in the southern hemisphere.

The road follows the Orange river nearly until De Hoop camp (SA side) whereafter it crosses a mountainous area, but more like a poort then a pass until it joins up to the Orange river again close to Tatasberg. There is a 4x4 track along the Gamkab river bed you can take, but we missed it and turned left onto the C37 road. First we stopped at Ai-Ais to have lunch, but also to go for a swim in the outside pool that is about 40 deg C warm.

Then off to the lookout at Fish River canyon:

Image,

I did the hiking trail in 1991 and 1993 and could not believe how steep it is to go down from the starting point. My son's wants to do the hike next year with friends and we will go along for support, but doubt will risk it to go down. :shock: :shock: :shock:

More Fish river canyon pics coming up and southern Namibia. ;-)

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Day 7: Fish River Canyon Hiking Trail

The hiking trail follows the course of the Fish River starting at the look out near Hobas for 90 km to the hot water springs of /Ai/Ais. The trail opens 1 May and runs until 15 Sept before it closes during the warm months. There are no huts or any facilities along the way and most hikers sleep in the open without any tent and uses the water from the river to drink. We were lucky to get the enough water in 1993 with the river still quite full and the sediment not too much. When its very dry you can find nearly no flow and in areas near the sulphur springs no drinking water due to sulphur contamination.

I did the trail before I met my SO thus no great shots, but hope you enjoy the oldies. Our group consisted of Varsity colleagues and my friends from East London. A now moment with my son nearly 22 years later at the start of the trail. No hikers yet when we visited in April.

Staring down the canyon ( :naughty: but at least don't have to worry as he was not part of our group)

More of the canyon from April 2015:

The rocky sections after the first day can be quite tough and lots of rest between 11:00 - 14:00 to avoid walking in the heat.

Along the way near Bushy Corner and small cat joined us and not scared at all. My friend Vladimir carried it for two days in the hope to get the cat to some-one that can look after it. No luck however. When we "smelled" the hot springs the cat went beserked and run up the mountain leaving us as hopeless cat rescuers. :whistle:

Reaching the grave of Von Trotha (German Soldier) is quite a milestone and maybe you in luck to find the farmer near the causeway with some Cokes. If too late at least one more day before completing the 4 - 6 day hike.

Image.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Beautiful pics again! \O

A friend of mine did the Fish River Trail two months ago. Her pics were amazing, but her feet at the end of it...not so much! lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Must be a tough hike :shock:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It looked tough, but then she is also one of these people who pushes herself to the extreme and she did the hike in record speed. 0-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

not really for me 0*\
but beautifull ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”