/Ai/Ais-Richtersveld April 2015

Bushveld Jock

Re: /Ai/Ais-Richtersveld April 2015

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Lisbeth wrote:How are the quiver trees doing? A few years ago they seemed to be dying slowing or maybe that was only in Augrabies :-?

Beautiful panoramas \O

The same here Lisbeth. Very sad indeed. :-( These trees can survive over 400 years and not sure if we are in that cycle now or weather patterns changing? -O- Haven't seen any baby trees and wonder if we will experience a time that trees need to plant that were grown in a nursery.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Richprins wrote:Some human ghosts standing there in the first pic! O-/

Astounding scenery again! O\/
:ty: RP. You nearly got me worried and for sure there must be many ghost around but this one goes by the name of Peter. lol lol lol

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Toko wrote:^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

This Giant looks healthy! But most aloes don't do very well :no:

Looks like the plants survive better in certain sections than other. ;-) The road we took out delivered on lots of different species and worthwhile to take one's time when visiting the park. O:V

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Mel wrote:Note to BJ: Do not start an interesting travel tale while some members are on holiday. :twisted:

^0^ lol

Just went through all ten pages and browsing through the amazing photos \O showing off a strangely beautiful scenery. :-0
Need to come back at some point and be a bit more diligent... But for now I must see what else I missed out on. And that's a lot. 0*\

lol lol lol Mel. This is an old tale that I need to finish before the next trip end of this month. Now you either need to be quick with yours and wait until I am back on 16 Dec.

Thanks for your wonderful comments and at least you back to see the KTP addition. ;-)

:ty:

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Alf wrote:This place is a planet on its own

All i can say is wow wow wow ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Can only agree this is a different planet. The first time we went was in 2004 and only saw 2 other parties, nearly no cars or traffic jam. Real anti climax when we reached Joberg at 7 pm on a weeks day driving through the worst of traffic on the way back.

One can really charge your batteries their and the solar ones too. lol lol lol

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Day 6: Helskloof pass

Helskloof pass is in the south west of the park and one of the exits to the main gate. I prefer to exit this way and enter the park from Sendelingsdrift along Halfmens, Penkop and Akkedis pass. Its quite a climb going out and most likely not that bad to enter along here, but most will advise rather to exit here.

Before reaching the turn off to Helskloof on the left / Domorogh pass on the right we stopped a wonderful display of botterbome on a rocky slope. Flowering time is in Dec to Jan and grows up to 2 m tall.

More succulent plants spotted along the way:

Nearly at the top of the pass we stopped at the lookout over the Paradysberg. There used to be a camp called De Koei nearby, but no longer in use.

Famous shepherds's tree of Helskloof:

The Pearson's Aloe was first collected by Dr HHW Pearson in 1910. Helskloof pass is the only place in the world where this aloe grows in such density. It flowers from Dec to Jan displaying yellow and red flowers.

Helskloof pass:

Just before we exit the pass my eye caught the movement of a strange creature that looked much larger than a rat. It disappeared quickly and after reading up on animals in the park I learned about the dassie rat. Its a squirrel like dassie and live amongst rocky areas.

Back at Sendelingsdrift we waited a while for the chalet to be ready and had a wonderful swim already forgetting how hot it was.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Hellskloof route has cool vistas ^Q^ O:V and the most photographed tree maks up for a beautiful photo O/\

That Richtersveld succulent salad is a Giant Iceplant (Mesembryanthemum barklyi)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A lot of different flora and a great view at Helskloof ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely views and vegetation. \O

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Incredible shots and breathtakting views, Bushveld Jock X#X

Amazing :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de