Long Weekend At Storms*

PJL

Long Weekend At Storms*

Post by PJL »

What better way to spend a long weekend than to head away camping with friends! We spent last weekend at Storms River Mouth camp - part of the Garden Route NP. I'm sure many of you have been there, but for those who haven't I thought I'd share a few photos from the time away.

The campsite at Storms is spread over 3 sections of the coastline. We were fortunately in the middle section just up from the swimming pool which is probably the most convenient for everything. The sites aren't huge, but thankfully our hotel for the weekend just managed to squeeze in...

PJL

Re: Long Weekend At Storms

Post by PJL »

When we had set off from PE the wind was intense, but by Storms it had calmed down. The sea seemed to be raging though, with spectacular waves as the sun was setting. The sea provides a constant source of visual entertainment at Storms, but these waves were much bigger than normal. Every time a big one hit the rocks, the ground resonated and shook :shock:

PJL

Post by PJL »

Thanks Lisbeth, Toko, nan, Mel & Duke for your nice comments. O0
The star rating of our hotel is of course totally legitimate O**

After a very loud night of waves hammering the shoreline we awoke to a perfectly still, crisp, sunny day. We had arrived a day earlier than our friends and so while we waited for them to arrive we took a walk around the campsite. The waves were producing some spectacular spray and there were also loads of dassies clambering around the rocks and feeding in the bushes. The kids thought they were great :-0 We also saw a pod of dolphins swim by, but they were too far away and swimming too fast for pics

Once everyone else had arrived and set up camp, there was just enough time to check out the pool and have a game of rugby before heading off on our first hike of the stay. I was impressed how large the pool was (last time I was there it was being refurbished so I hadn't used it before). It was also fairly clean despite the seagulls using it as a bath 0*\

PJL

Post by PJL »

Bushcraft wrote:Great stuff ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I stopped there once many years ago. Have the cabins been revamped :-?
Hi Bushcraft, I'm not sure when/if the cabins have been revamped, but there are definitely some new ones around (particularly near the restaurant) which weren't around a few years ago. \O
Lisbeth wrote:Is the pool with sea water?
No it's actually fresh water - which is probably why the seagulls enjoy bathing in it O**

PJL

Post by PJL »

Our first proper hike was from the restaurant area over to the suspension bridge. Or should I say bridges because a couple of extra bridges have been built - I assume as part of the repairs that were carried out to the boardwalk after parts of it were washed away a few years back. So with 6 adults and 7 children squished into a bakkie, we drove over to the restaurant and started off on our walk. The scenery is great with some good look-out points along the easy-going boardwalk, and the shade from the trees was very welcome - its was a hot day!

Here's a view looking down on the suspension bridges

PJL

Post by PJL »

After a nice break at the bridges and some good sightings of dolphins leaping from the water, someone decided that it would be great to head up to the viewpoint on the other side. It's a steep climb, and for some of the little kids it was quite exhausting on their smaller legs. But with a bit of help we all made it up to a lovely viewpoint.

Looking back across the bay to the beach/restaurant area

Heading down we came across this lizard

While down at the bridges we all posed for a celebration photo of our walking achievements ;-)

Back at the restaurant area the sun was giving a lovely glow to the river mouth, and the kids were again entertained by the dassies \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Toko wrote:Your "lizard" is a Red-sided skink Trachylepis homalocephala (formerly: Mabuya homalocephala smithii Smith's skink)
Thanks for the ID Toko X#X

PJL

Post by PJL »

nan wrote:it seems the Dassie needs a dentist :-?
=O: =O: \O
Bushcraft wrote:Beautiful spot O:V

Also love the family pics. Trips like this are awesome for kids.

The chap with the blue cap looks like he could get up to mischief =O:
Yeah, the kids had the time of their life. And yes, Gareth does have an adventurous streak ;-)
Pumbaa wrote:Wonderful impressions, PJL,

the park itself, the high waves and my beloved dassies ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks Pumbaa \O
Mel wrote:Did you notice that one of your mates sweated his heart out? :-0
Yes! Though we only noticed it once we were back home and browsing through the pics :-0
Flutterby wrote:Lovely pics PJL...especially the one of all of you together...which one is you? 0'
I'm the guy at the back on the left \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

It was a perfect evening after the walk, with hardly a breath of wind and a clear sky. Here are a couple of shots of the fantastic view whilst braaing and the sun going down...

PJL

Post by PJL »

The next day, our challenge was to try make it to the waterfall and back. It's a hike along the first section of the Otter Trail, and although there are some good paths in places, there is also a lot of boulder-hopping... fine for us, but how would the kids cope? They were absolute stars and despite a troop of 7 between the ages of 5 and 10 they all made it!

Starting off through the camp

All ready to hit the trail

Easy going to begin with

Where did that nice path go?

Good climbing

A rest with a view

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”