Back to Mountain Zebra

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Back to Mountain Zebra

Post by Mel »

That is ten lions for Mountain Zebra... and Addo gets to have only seven now :O^

But what a sighting. Well, actually both of them. The blackie to start the day off with and
then that pride. Probably the good thing about a small park - you often get all the inhabiting lions
in one go. lol But I'm sure the cubs will be relocated at some point...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Amazing how the lions blend into their surroundings! ^Q^ ^Q^ Great blackie sighting too. \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Klipspringer wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:47 pm Wow - a traditional functional lion pride ^Q^

Love your sightings.
Thanks Klipspringer \O
Lisbeth wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 pm If it wasn't for the mane of Nomad, the lions would have been hard to spot in that landscape. What a wonderful sighting it must have been :-0 ^Q^ ^Q^
Yep, his black mane really helped for spotting :yes:
Alf wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:11 pm Wow a black rhino and then the pride of lions

^Q^ ^Q^
It was a great send-off Alf X#X
Richprins wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:19 pm O/\ O/\

Black rhino and black lion! X#X

Well-strategized, Peej! O:V O:V

I wonder if they choose the most Cape Lion lookalaike males for reintroduction?

There is a story somewhere that the extinct genes are somewhere... :-? :o0ps:
Yeah there is a story there somewhere but that was for Addo. The original males in MZNP weren't Kalahari black-maned lions, so I'm not sure what the thinking was when they were originally introduced -O-
Pumbaa wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:36 pm A black rhino is always a more than thrilling sighting, PJL, :-0

you got such amazing shots and then I love the lions in the Long grass indeed they are very hard to discover but that makes the shot so unique \O \O \O
Thank you Pumbaa - they were great at blending in to their surroundings :yes:
Mel wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:00 pm That is ten lions for Mountain Zebra... and Addo gets to have only seven now :O^

But what a sighting. Well, actually both of them. The blackie to start the day off with and
then that pride. Probably the good thing about a small park - you often get all the inhabiting lions
in one go. lol But I'm sure the cubs will be relocated at some point...
It's very frustrating knowing how depleted Addo is on lion at the moment... all as a result of finances as far as I can tell.
There are apparently over 20 lion in MZNP at the moment. I'm sure the youngsters will have to be moved at some stage \O
Flutterby wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:26 am Amazing how the lions blend into their surroundings! ^Q^ ^Q^ Great blackie sighting too. \O
Thanks Flutts, it was a great start to the day \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

We were really lucky with the lion sighting. Tracking their direction of movement we had the pride come out next to us, playing around a bit, before crossing the road and continuing some antics on the other side. After a brief pause they continued on up the hill and we knew the road went across at the top so we had them come right past us a second time as well O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\

After some fairly careful counting we concluded there were 15 lion in this particular group. Roy wasn't to be seen, so it was Nomad, about 4 adult lionesses then a mixture of sub-adults down to youngsters about 8 months old O:V

Here are some more pics as they moved towards us at various points in the sighting.

PJL

Post by PJL »

Some of the youngsters were in a lively mood :yes:
There was an explosive chase next to us when it seemed someone just wanted a cuddle 0/0

After crossing the road the antics continued with some further skirmishes lol

PJL

Post by PJL »

With two crossings next to us there was of course plenty of opportunity for some nice close-ups O\/ O\/

Lastly for the close-ups... one of my personal favourites. This young lioness had some real character what with being chased around and having a messy chin from drinking earlier lol

PJL

Post by PJL »

Nomad certainly stole the show at times O:V O:V

It was one of the first times I've seen him around lions other than his coalition partner Roy. He looks to have settled into family life quite well lol lol

Although he did forget his manners on the odd occasion 0*\

PJL

Post by PJL »

After the two road crossings, the lions slowly made their way over the shoulder of the hillside dropping out of view one by one. Eventually only Nomad was left surveying his kingdom before he too followed his clan downhill

It had been a magical 40 minutes with the lions, and only two other cars in total the entire sighting. :-0 :-0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Superb, Peej! :-0 :-0 :-0

They do blend in well there, and look nice and "clean" with fewer parasites and flies etc!

The young males are going to get kicked out by the boss at some stage... O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Such focus in their eyes when they're walking!! \O \O Fantastic pics! ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”