Re: TT from Bush to Beach - Mkhuze to Cape Vidal July 2013

Post by Bushcraft »

Poor junior :-( but great to see proactive staff ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Nice episode BJ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

What a dramatic encounter BJ, so sad :-(

Will be following this TT with an eagle eye, as we would like to explore the KZN Parks more often

Thanks for sharing ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

0()

Somewhere in Kruger
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Your first Rhino pic is stunning... I really think it is near perfect, for me ... ^Q^ ^Q^

Felt sorry for the foal, and I agree, amazing that the young zebbies knew the danger. \O

Looking forward to seeing Cape Vidal through your lens. ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Nan, Lisbeth, Flutterby, Bushcraft, Twigga, Amoli, Heksie and all readers of my TT,

When I heard the desperate bleating of the calf I nearly wanted to walk to the poor thing, but knowing that the buffalo and rhinos are close-by I realized the danger I am going to put myself in and ran to the car to see if the KZN field rangers did adhere to the call. I only drove a few 100 meters when they came around the corner towards the hide to get the calf out of the mud.

At first I felt so good that the calf was out of the mud and will be on its feet soon, but when it did not want to move after 2 hours my thoughts was different and I was debating if it was right to intervene and help animals. -O- In the process its death was only prolonged and all the good deeds to help it did not result in that it survived. I think we as human do feel guilty to help and even if things still turn to the worse it was worth trying than watching it drown in front of you.

Maybe at the same time or a week before / after this incident two cheetahs were founds killed in snares at Mkhuze Game reserve, which must have been a tuff month for the KZN staff. See link below.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2740

After packing up we first drove to Nsumo pan, but were a bit unlucky to spot any elephants. The evidence were in the road, but the big guys were hiding from us. You can either stop for a picnic at Nsumo pan or visit two hides over looking the pans. We spotted a few hippos, Kingfishers, herons, stilts darters, reed comorants and spoonbills. Some were far off and others closer for a [O] The hippos again were too close for my comfort zone, but luckily they did not see me as an fellow mate intruding in the pond. =O: =O: =O:

Our last shot before we left Mkhuze.

Our stay was very short, but I will definitely visit this remarkable park again and make sure that it will be for at least 4 days so that I can take time at each hide and drive to the southern section of the park bordering near Phinda. There are two bush lodges in the park, namely Nhlonhlela and uMkhumbe Tented Bush camp if you prefer the smaller camps instead of Mantuma camp. Alternative driving in from outside is not too far and one can stay at Jozini dam and easily get to the park within 30 minutes.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Cape Vidal:

Since our last visit in 2009 two new hides were built at Amazibu pan and Mafazana pan and the picnic areas renovated as well as the campsite. We were a bit disappointed with the fact that the road to Catalina Bay pier was closed off and you got only drive to the picnic area. Also the bridge near Lake Bhangazi was damaged and you got not enter the gane drive road not to far from the camp at the boom gate.

We spend more time at the beach and a few times went to the hides and did a drive to Bhangazi pass the Red Dunes. At Misson Rock we first had to stop at a buffalo road block before walking down to the rocky shore. Must be the only beach were you can be attack by buffalo in SA.

Mother goose and......

Incy wincy spider.

African Jacana

Kudu:

One little duck went swimming one day,

And the Dabchick (dish) ran away with the Spoonbill

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Cape Vidal: Red dune to Lake Bhangazi

The road to Lake Bhangazi should be driven anti-clock wise, but due to the damaged bridge the direction was changed and we could at least drove until the lake. Along the way we saw buffalo waterbuck, kudu and hippo. Even though it was a bit cloudy / rainy we could get pics of the Red Dunes of isiMangaliso Wetland Park.

Red Dunes - the colour is right but the vegetation is a giveaway that this was not taken in Kgalagadi.

Lake Bhangazi (south)

Buff Boy with no worries in his life. No lions to watch out for.

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

The Beach: Cape Vidal (2009)

This year we did not take any shots at the beach and only did the things you will do at a beach, like swimming wave riding snorkeling, but left the tanning to the other visitors. In 2009 we walked along the beach nearly to the light house, which I will show if you want to know what we did when we were not in the bush.

All the log cabins and campsites are in a forest behind the beach.

Moshi lost in the forest.

Wild life spotted along the beach.

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Sharifa,

Thanks for the lovely comments. Cape Vidal is more for the fishermen, but we enjoy it there, because of the safe and quiet beach and if the day looks bad you can go out for a game drive. In 2009 we did a day trip to Imfolozi and Hluhluwe which you can reach within 2 hours (~ 85 km). The boat trips up the river from St Lucia is also a must for 1st time visitors with lots of opportunities to see birds, crocs and hippo's.

We hooked on Imfolozi now and can't wait for another break.

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Mel, Nan, Flutterby, Lisbeth and Sharifa,

O0 Thanks for all the kind word on my beach visit and Cape Vidal. The only thing that changed is Moshi that is now much taller and can even look mum in the eyes now. :-)

Lets get back to 2013 for a few more [O] from Cape Vidal. We had no luck with leopards and it was the wrong time for turtles, but some of the Big 5 were still around even although it was on the last day.

I am watching you. It did not took him long to realized my hands were full and he came down to grab a banana from the table. --00--

Now why are you leaving us without paying your debt. 0'

Hi I am behind the bush. Just want to get to the other side.

Thanks for visiting - have a safe trip back home. \O

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Bushcraft wrote:
Bushveld Jock wrote:
Flutterby wrote:The rhinpo has a lovely horn! \O
During our previous visit we had several sightings of rhino at Cape Vidal, while this time it was only one, but a very close-up and special one. O/\ O/\ O/\
I'm not sure if the poaching figures in this area are accurate BJ as many of my mates are also reporting less rhino in the area O-/

Great sightings ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Hi BC,

There was definitely poaching already as can be seen from a recent report in May 2013 that refers to rhino's killed on the eastern shores of Lake St Lucia. It is sad that no reserve is safe any more from rhino poachers. :evil: :-( :-(
Eleven rhino have been poached in KwaZulu-Natal in the past 20 days, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife said on Tuesday.

The carcasses of eight rhino, seven white and one black, were found in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. Six were recently shot on the park's western shores, and the other two along the eastern shores.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/scitech/2013 ... hed-in-kzn

Return to “Travel Tales of Mkuze Game Reserve”