Pilanesburg 2009*

Dzombo

Pilanesburg 2009*

Post by Dzombo »

So after my not so successful trip to Mabalingwe in December 2008, I had booked for myself and the Inlaws to go to Kruger in March 2010.
But for our annual trip to SA in December 2009 I managed to get accommodation at Bakubang. Didn't expect too much - maybe the lingering memories of Mabalingwe, and also the fact that Kruger was only 3 months away.

Was I proved to be wrong!
This was my best visit to Pilanesburg.

We arrived at Bak in the late afternoon, unloaded the car quickly, and went on our first game drive.
A few hundred meters, after entering Bakubang gate, and a traffic jam - there was a pride of lions up on the hill on the rhs. Couldn't really see them that clearly, but our first sighting!

Anyway, we proceeded down Kubu drive, and it was chocca with game. Giraffe, Impala, Zebra. And then, a lifer for me. A Black Rhino. Quite far from the road, but a good sighting non-the-less. A first for me.
Still buzzing from the BR sighting we turned the car around and headed back to camp. Only to get caught in the traffic jam not far from the gate. But the lions had become active, and had moved down the hillside, and were now in and next to the road!

Great start to the trip

Dzombo

Re: Pilanesburg 2009

Post by Dzombo »

Another few photos:

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”