A four day detox is what was needed.

steamtrainfan

Re: A four day detox is what was needed.

Post by steamtrainfan »

Lisbeth wrote:Lovely pic of the goshawk ^Q^ ^Q^
0()
Thanks very much Lisbeth.
Mel wrote:More cheetah, that's really

I also like the gabar shot - nice light goes with it

And the rock monitor Stuff I don't often see, so I consider it special
Thanks so much for the lovely comments Mel.

ExFmem wrote:Just read through all the pages - some really wonderful pics you took - gorgeous colors!

Can't wait to find out what the extra special sighting was for the last day
Hi ExFmem. Welcome on board. Thank you the positive feedback.

Alf wrote:very lucky cheetah sighting
Agreed Alf. To see the cheetah is a rare sighting.

nan wrote:and again Cheetahs

Yes nan, we very lucky to see Rains two sons.
Flutterby wrote:Wow! Two cheetah sightings!! Awesome.

Glad to hear Amarula is doing well.

Never seen a Namaqua Dove in Pilanesberg...fantastic!
Hi Flutterby. Very blessed indeed to have two cheetah sightings in two days.

Amarula is a alive and well.

The Namaqua Dove was a very special sighting. Their call is like a beautiful melody.

Bushcraft wrote:More cheetah

Aren't there only a very few in the park
Hi B.C. There was first only Rain, the female. They the introduced two males. She then had three cubs from one of the males but one went missing. These are the two in my second photo. They are males. Rain has now mated again with one of two males and again produced three cubs. If my maths is right that now makes 9 altogether.

Rain plus three cubs.
The two males.
Rains two sons.

They are now concerned about inter breeding as Rain is about ready to leave her cubs to go and look for another mating session.

Richprins wrote:Very good, studentfan!

As BC says, very good luck indeed!

Thanks very much R.P. I like that name studentfan. Got a nice ring to it.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

DAY 5 - FRIDAY 16 SEPTEMBER 2016.

Seeing as there was free entrance we decided to pop in for quick early morning drive to see if we could find the cheetah we had seen yesterday.

When we arrived at the spot the cheetah were nowhere to be seen so Joan got a few sunrise shots.

We decide to check out Mankwe Dam and came across these ellies crossing the road.

The game trucks made us made so mad as they would not move out of the way for the ellies to cross.

As it was not yet 08:00 we decided to do Thlware Loop ,my favourite loop as we know there is resident leopard there, a last time before calling it a day and heading home. We have done this loop almost every day we are in the park for the past 10 years without seeing the elusive leopard.

As they say in Afrikaans - "Aanhou wen." Rough translation is "Keeping on trying always wins."

As we came to end of the loop there is a straight section of road before the junction with Motlobo Drive. We saw about 6 game trucks and two cars causing a major roadblock. We were told that there was a leopard with a kill under a tree. Some friendly folk tried to explain to us which tree but eventually we spotted her :

IKETHLA the queen of Thlware Loop.

She was well hidden under a tree but kept getting up , scratching at the ground , and then lying down again. It was very difficult to see her but we did manage a photograph.

Our first photo of Ikethla taken at 08:00.

By now we were totally blocked in but in a pretty good place to keep an eye on her. As game trucks left more arrived, full of people all making one hell of a racket, to take their place. All the drivers were on their radios jabbering away. This really annoys us but we decided to stick to our guns and stay where we were.
A young couple managed to pull up next to us and she told us that she had read that the best thing to do in a situation like this is to sit it out until all the trucks and traffic has gone and then you might see the animal move. This we did and at 08:20 she made her move and crossed the road right in front of us.

She went and made herself comfortable in a lovely vantage point on a koppie.

We sat with her there until 09:15 when we decided to call it a day and headed for home.

At last I had found the leopard that I had searched for for many years.

We travelled home on cloud 9 still not believing how blessed we had been this morning.

Thank you all so much for joining us on this trip and hope that you will join us for our week in Pilanesberg from 7 to 14 October to be posted very soon. This was to prove to be our best trip yet to Pilanesberg.

Until then - stay safe.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Alf

Post by Alf »

If I get a traffic jam like that I will just turn around and drive away. my blood pressure will sky rocket within the first minute :evil:

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Great sunrise pics O:V

Game trucks and noise is frustrating at sightings like this O/

Fantastic leopard sighting for Pilanesberg :-0 ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I am so happy for you that you got your leopard 0/0 ^Q^ ^Q^

Incredible that people cannot be quiet in the bush 0*\ The big OSVs are bad enough, but if people are making noise they are unbearable 0= I would probably do like Alf :yes:

Looking forward to the next visit O/\ O/\
0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

magnificent Leopard sighting and pictures O/\ O/\ O/\

and trucks 0*\

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Congrats on finally finding her! ^Q^

I sometimes think the OSV's in Pilanesberg are worse than in Kruger because the distances are so much shorter!! :evil:

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Alf wrote:If I get a traffic jam like that I will just turn around and drive away. my blood pressure will sky rocket within the first minute :evil:
Hi Alf. I decided to chill this time and sit it out and it certainly paid dividends.

Bushcraft wrote:Great sunrise pics

Game trucks and noise is frustrating at sightings like this

Fantastic leopard sighting for Pilanesberg
Thanks so much for the lekker comments B.C..

Lisbeth wrote:I am so happy for you that you got your leopard

Incredible that people cannot be quiet in the bush The big OSVs are bad enough, but if people are making noise they are unbearable I would probably do like Alf

Looking forward to the next visit
Thanks so much for all your lovely comments Lisbeth.

Look forward to having you on board for the next trip.

nan wrote:magnificent Leopard sighting and pictures

and trucks
Thanks very much nan. Just love all your comments.

Please join us for our next trip coming up soon.

Flutterby wrote:Congrats on finally finding her!

I sometimes think the OSV's in Pilanesberg are worse than in Kruger because the distances are so much shorter!!
Hi Flutterby. Thank so much for joining us although you have seen most of the photos on another site. We really appreciate you joining us.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What a grande finale for you!!! I understand that leopards are not often seen at Pilanesberg and as you said yourself, you had looked for it for ages.
So seeing the lady on your drive out certainly is the best detox medication I can possibly think of! Well done to you and your wife for finding the
elusive critter ^Q^

Thanks for sharing with us and until next time 0/*

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks very much Mel.

Until next time. 0/*

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”