Pilanesberg December 2005

Dzombo

Pilanesberg December 2005

Post by Dzombo »

Hi All,

I have been to Pilanesburg 6 times in the past 7 years.
Only not going that year there was the fire at Qua Maritane and I struggled to get accomodation.

Rather than do a day by day report (and I can't remember where and when to be honest :o0ps: )
I thought I would post a selection of photos.

This is from December 2005. This was before my digital camera, so they are scan of prints.

Dzombo

Re: Pilanesburg December 2005

Post by Dzombo »

Flutterby wrote:Very nice Dzombo. \O Have you got pics from your other trips?
Thanks.

I do have photos from each trip. I love photography.

I thought I would post a few photos from each trip as a seperate report, every few weeks.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Amusing story re the Lion photos no 3 & 4.

Those of you who have been to Pilanesburg might know that small water hole about 2/3 way near the top of Tau Drive, you have to go down a short sand track (in very bad condition) to reach it.

Anyway, we go have a look at the dam, and there is nothing there except a small herd of Impala milling about. Not much interesting to see and I start reversing to go on my way, when the chap in the bakkie next to me says "Daar is leeus daar", and he points to some small trees on the far side of the dam. I have a look and see nothing. Mrs looks, she can see nothing. They must be sleeping behind the trees, and we are wasting our time. As I start reversing again, I see a flash of black, the twitch of an ear. And suddenly a pride of 4/5 lions bursts out of out of the trees and has a go at the Impala. They get away, bt the lions then went to drink at the water, and walked around for a bit.

Of course after about 5 minutes the jeep jockeys turned up (no idea how they knew the lions were there, maybe one arrived by chance and radioed the others), and it got a bit crowded, so we left.

But just shows how easy it is to miss a fantastic sighting.

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Nice series of pics Dzombo. \O

Hope theres lots more to come. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Your lion story story just tells exactly what this crazy game viewing is all about \O Nice pics, keep them coming!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Dewi wrote:Nice series of pics Dzombo. \O

Hope theres lots more to come. \O
Yup, there will be in due course :D
Lisbeth wrote:Your lion story story just tells exactly what this crazy game viewing is all about \O Nice pics, keep them coming :D
Thanks.

Actually, there is a story about the first lion photo too.

So we go the Pilanesburg, and share a rondawel at Bakubang with my sister, her family and my mother.
First drive of the trip, first morning. So the night before we had discussed it, and my mom says, not a problem she wakes up early anyway, we can leave my son, who was all of 5 months old, with her. And the Mrs and I can go on a drive.
Alarm goes off at 5am, and we are the only ones awake. Felt bad to start waking people up, so we pick up the baby, take the bag with goodies and all get into the car and go for a drive.

Get to the lions were in the road...... and my son decides he is hungry and wants his bottle and starts hollering. Lion didn't seem too worried, but we were getting evil looks from people in the other cars. O/

So I say to Mrs, just give him the bottle, and it will keep him quiet. But Mrs, being very strict with routines, wasn't that keen. Though eventually she gave in, gave him his bottle and peace returned!

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

nan wrote:Pilanesburg, a park I don't know anything :o0ps:
nice to have some pictures and stories about this park \O
Pilanesburg is great, I really like it.
Not quite as good as Kruger, but fantastic for what it is.

The Big 5 are there, and other game is plentiful. It has a good road network. And the accommodation is good.

Before children, the Mrs and I always went to Kruger.
But when the kids came along we couldn't.
For 2 reasons.
1) Pilanesburg isn't in a malaria area, and I wasn't prepared to take a chance with very small kids.
2) It is only 2 1/2 hours away from Jhb, so is a lot easier for the kids to handle the trip, than the 5 odd hours to Kruger.

This December, we are taking them to Kruger for the first time. Can't wait.

nan

Post by nan »

thanks for the info, sure is better without malaria \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Lovely pictures Dzombo \O
I do not recall the waterhole - but will look for it the next time when in Pilansberg.
I am always amazed by peeps standing right in front of an Ellie... alottaguts...

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Dzombo, great stories...although you are never going to outlast a hungry child!! -O

We also only used to take our son to Pilanesberg when he was small, but his first trip to Kruger was amazing and he is now an addict!! \O

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”