iNdlovu

Road report - Getting to & from Pilanesberg

Post by iNdlovu »

Keep us updated with road conditions.

BunnyHugger

Re: Road report - Getting to & from Pilanesberg

Post by BunnyHugger »

25/01/2012

It's onlly been about 12 years or so since my last visit to Pilanesberg.

Back then I used the route to Hartebeespoort Dam, via the N4 and then the R556. I understand this is a shorter route. Is this the case? How about the locals letting their donkeys wander about the roads? Does this still pose a threat?

Please advise.

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

RobertT wrote:Did the road about 4 weeks ago, didn't have a problem with donkeys etc as long as you are aware of them.

Possibility of going there again this weekend, just not sure if it is Sat or Sun.
Thanks RT, we there for the weekend so maybe see you :D

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

I know you guys are looking forward to a great weekend, but does anyone have info on the predicted rains and possible flooding for Pilanesburg?

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Sprocky - no news of flooding :shock:

BH sent us the weather prediction today for the weekend,
some cloud on Friday at 26 deg.
Saturday 28 deg
and Sunday 30 deg.

Do you have any other information than this?

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

BunnyHugger wrote:
Sprocky wrote:I know you guys are looking forward to a great weekend, but does anyone have info on the predicted rains and possible flooding for Pilanesburg?
We're such a hot crowd even the weather forecasters are predicting an increase in temperatures for the weekend.

Friday is 14 to 26 deg C. 0% chance of rain.
Saturday is 15 to 27 deg C with )5 chance of rain.
Sunday is 16 to 28 with no chance of rain.

Monday they are predicting 15 feet of snow while the weather in JHB will begin to rise again.

We do seem to have made an detour, when I really want to know about the road condition.
-O -O -O Sprocky that's what the inflatable mattresses are for...a couple of !00! and we will be rowing around singing :twisted: :twisted:

BH, I know the road to Harties is okay here and there a few potholes but further up not sure, will just have to take it slow Image

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

BunnyHugger wrote:The road to Harties I have done recently, A lot of roadworks and many stop streets last time out. Maybe we should consider an alternative although the drive once in the Magaliesberg is awesome.

I'm looking for info on the R556 and R510 from after we turn off the N4.

Coming back Sunday, the traffic at Harties will be a mare. Perhaps we should consider alternatives.

So we are on our way in just over 24 hours or so.

Meantime, I still need to get through today. Need loads of coffee.
BH - we did this route over Harties to Rustenburg - turnoff Sun City during December. The road was very good and we maintained the speed limit.

When you take the turn off to the different gates, the roads have pot holes - yet there are locals fixing them and you can say thank you for their efforts by dropping some money in their tins. A good cause I would say - and it is for a very short distance of about 200 - 300m.

Do yourself a favour though and see in your rearview mirror how they take the sand out again just to put up the act when a vehicle approaches. I thought that was very creative job creation... :lol: :lol:

BunnyHugger

Post by BunnyHugger »

'k so back to the more serious part of the topic.

We drove via Lanseria and Harties en route there. Harties was by way of Pecanwood. From there we went on the N4 for a bit, did the R512 and then R510. I found the road to be in good condition overall and the drive enjoyable. Traffic was light and flowed freely.

The road back was something of a different kettle of fish. We needed fuel and Caltex do not have good diesel. Good petrol yes, but diesel is another ting completely.

So we went via Rustenberg after exiting the Bakubung gate. It was tedious. The roads are good, but the stop streets and traffic lights every other 100 m was a ballache. The road was good from Rustenberg to JHB although we headed north just after Tarlton.

I am not sure how Amoli found the road home having gone back via Harties on the way back. No doubt she stopped at the "Upper deck" for a refreshement break and leg stretch. ;-)

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”