Pilanesberg - Leopard Kill

Information & Discussions on Planesberg
Flutterby

Pilanesberg - Leopard Kill

Post by Flutterby »

This happened a couple of years ago on a day trip to Pilanesberg. We saw a car stopped ahead waving us forward. At first all we saw was a wildebeest, and then realised something had it around the neck....a leopard taking down a fully grown wildebeest in the middle of the day, right next to the road, and only 2 cars there!! The pics were taken with a little point 'n shoot so they aren't great, but what an amazing sighting!

Flutterby

Re: Pilanesberg - Leopard Kill

Post by Flutterby »

It's great for a quick visit when you need to get back to the bush but can't get to Kruger...but it can never compare!! :lol:

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Flutterby - Bush is bush, better than the city. :D

Did the leopard manage to drag it up a tree?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

True LVB!!

No....it managed to drag it a bit further away from the road and then gave up, and disappeared into the bush. Quite a few cars stopped as they could see the wildebeest but the leopard stayed hidden. We were eventually the only car left and we drove away and turned around and came back very slowly and the leopard was back again, but as soon as another car came it ran off again. The funniest was when a Jeep jockey stopped next to us and the guide told his guests (very knowingly) that the wildebeest had obviously died from natural causes as it had no marks around it's neck (the leopard had actually put its jaws over the wildebeest's mouth and nose and suffocated it)!!! We sat there trying not to laugh but didn't tell them the truth, just because he was so stupid and arrogant!!! :lol:

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

Wow FB, never been lucky enough to see a leopard in PB. even in over 25 trips.

AWESOME

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

seen couple of Brown Hyena there though, and cheetah twice.

Many lions though. the two males between pialnesburg centre and mankwe grow up

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

We've also seen brownies there twice, but very quick sightings! Not had many lion sightings though.

Tshukudu

Post by Tshukudu »

Seen leopard there once. Walked across the road in ffront of my car. Was way to slow to get the camera.

Have seen the brown hyena and also had a run in with one of Kwa maritane's jj. The dude decided to go offroad and block everyone elses view so his guests could get better photo's :evil:

Vicfran61

Post by Vicfran61 »

Hi my first time on this sight hope I get this wright I worked at Sun City for 5 years in the early ninety's and only saw my first Leopard 2010 since then we have been lucky to see one each time we have been back the best was Jan 2012 and the one that sticks in my mind is when we were following a young one taking photos and video for about 20 min and my car fuel pump started playing up :evil: and there we waited for rescue thanks Steve :P Will try upload video if it's possible

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Flutterby.
Sorry to be asking about old posts. I wasn't around on the Forum when you first posted.

Where abouts did you see the Leopard?
Never seen one in Pilanesburg. I always look around the rocky outcrops. But in my 6 trips - nothing :shock:

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”