Dams of the Pilansberg

Information & Discussions on Planesberg
cheetah

Dams of the Pilansberg

Post by cheetah »

Pilansberg lends itself towards great game viewing at the various dams in the Park!
Despite how small the Park is, there are about 7 hides where you can get out and sit for hours :-) There are also ablutions at all the hides so I have before sat at a hide the entire day :-)

Mankwe Dam

The most famous of the dams is Mankwe Dam is a magnificent dam situated in the middle of the Park. It is the largest of the dams, and the Mankwe Lair is a hide where you will see animals all day long O/\ The meaning of Mankwe is leopard, yet I have not heard of leopard being seen at the dam! It is a hotspot for most birds and game though!

Last edited by cheetah on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheetah

Re: Dams of the Pilansberg

Post by cheetah »

The fisherman of Mankwe Dam

The cormorants and darters rely on the angle of reflection of the sun off the water to their fishing advantage ;-) In the late afternoon their preferred fishing spot is on the dead tree branches only some meters away from the hide!

The Pied Kingfisher generally fishes in the shallows to the left of the hide in the morning near the reeds, and fishes from the reeds on the right hand side in the afternoon :-)

The malachite kingfisher prefers the very shallow waters to the back left of the hide! There is a concrete block that has been put down on the walkway so that people can peer over palisade fence and see them \O If you don't stand on that block you will think they don't exist in the Pilansberg ;-)

The Fish Eagles tend to hunt in the depths of the 'sub' dam a bit North of Mankwe Lair and are generally too far for decent photos 0*\

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

The three wise men; Larry, Mo and Shep are the mischievous marauding monkeys of Mankwe Lair :O^
The might look cute, but the intelligent furry trio lead deadly raids on cars that leave their windows even slightly open! Their timing and judgement is impeccable!
Last edited by cheetah on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks for this information cheetah ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Great stuff \O Some good pics BTW O\/

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Your descriptions are spot on....I've seen those birds in all the same spots!! \O \O

Nice pics!! \O

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Thanks you two \O

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Makorwane Dam

only about 9km West of Mankwe Lair on the tsukudu (rhino) road is a charming dam and lookout hide! Zebra and wilderbeest are pretty much always in the open plains near the dam. The place is best visited in the mornings!

As the sun peeks over the mountains and touches the cold water the steam rises up :-)

You have a good chance of being alone at the hide and listening to the grunting hippos who congregate where it is most sunny on the far side of the dam from the hide in the mornings O:V

A very tranquil place

The ducks are all over the show!

And the fisherman are generally far away from the hide, so bring your bazuka lenses ;-)

As you exit the hide, snap a sunrise pic O:V

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

More great stuff cheetah ^Q^ ^Q^ I have never been to Pilansberg, so have to head that way some day :-?

Hey, I spotted some awesome Pilansberg pics on one of your FB updates :-? Where's the TT O\/ O\/ O\/

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Thanks Bushy \O Pilansberg is quite far for you! I would not think it is worth the shlep. But for PTA and JHB peeps it is an amazing place to get a fix!

Despite the way it looks, I have suddenly become quite busy! And I don't know how you guys manage to do TT's and work so hard :-?
But I decided to at least share pics, stories and info about Pilansberg \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Great stuff! \O

0()

(Are you allowed a little refreshment when sitting in the hide all day? -O- )

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”