2 families + 2 cars = ???????????

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
steamtrainfan

2 families + 2 cars = ???????????

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hi guys and gals.

A very "stoopid" question. :-? :-? :-? :-?

We are going to be 2 families, my wife and I and my son, his wife and their 3 year old daughter. We are travelling to Kruger seperately but will be staying together in 2 bedroom huts at Skukuza and Satara. O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

However, when travelling around the Park do we:

1) Travel together in convoy in out 2 cars.

OR

2) Travel independantly and maybe arrange to meet up somewhere during the day and then discuss sightings.

If we travel seperately would it be possible to make use of a 2 way radio of some sorts. I assume it cant be one of these cheapy ones as distance will be a major factor.

If I remember correctly I am sure Bushcraft ( lucky so an so is at Skukuza right now) used radios?

DARN, I wish my Corolla would hurry up and grow into a Fortuna. =O: =O: =O: =O: =O:

Please, any advice will be appreciated.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
harrys

Re: 2 families + 2 cars = ???????????

Post by harrys »

STF,very good question, my daughters and I are also going in 2 vehicles in December, me in my bakkie and caravan and they in their Atoz, we decided each will go their own way and at the end off the day we will share our sightings and so we will be able to do 2 TT's \O ^Q^ . We will be using 2 way radios for those emergancy sightings O** O**

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
BunnyHugger

Post by BunnyHugger »

If you go in two cars then there'll be room enough for me to tag along. O/\ O\/

It's a bit of a personal decision there STF. Two cars can cover more ground and yes, radio communication will be very limited due to distances. An alternative would be to get an application called "whatsapp" on some smartphones and communicate that way. (Then again, it depends on mobile phone reception which is also limited in the KNP.)

There is also the carbon footprint to take into account.

On the plus side of all being in the same car is more eyes can scan more ground if you can get past being in a tiny toyota together for a few hours at a time. -O- :-?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Personally I would choose the two cars for space and 3 year old baby reasons ;-) More room for cooler box, snacks, cameras, binos etc. and then meet up at picnic spots or camps on the way. To comunicate...... -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

Two way radios are iffy if distance is involved in Kruger.

Moggie and Buddy used two way radios when we went last year - but we were following each other so distance wasn't a problem.

As for those special sightings - as long as you don't mention the word Rhino PLEASE!!! \O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks very much to all for the ideas and suggestions.

It seems as if 2 cars going in different directions is the answer BUT knowing the STF Clan anything else could happen.

Skukuza 15 - 17 July 2012 GC6D O\/ O\/ Hopefully number 223.
Satara 18 - 20 July 2012 GC6BD. :D :D

21 July - Travel home :-( :-( :-(

Hopefully we will be able to write an entertaining TT ^Q^ and share some wonderful [O] 's with all the mites.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Hey STF, only catching up here now. :o0ps:

Forget the radios, you will have better chats when the two cars meet up somewhere. \O

If you do get a good sighting, use your cell phone once you get reception. Apart from that keep it natural and green! \O

Looking forward to an in depth TT!!! O/\ ENJOY!!! X#X

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I can't add anything to the advice already given except...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! \O \O

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”