Kruger Accommodation Rates

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Bushcraft

Kruger Accommodation Rates

Post by Bushcraft »

Hi all 0/*

I’m not sure about you guys, but for us a trip to Kruger as a family has become a luxury, especially if we aren’t camping.

I went back and looked at a few historical trips to see how rates have changed over time and I just took 1 camp, Lower Sabie, as it seems to be the most popular camp in the park if years of watching the availability numbers are anything to go by.

2011 Lower Sabie Rates

CK6P = R165 for 2
BD3U = R810 for 2

2019 Lower Sabie Rates

CK6P = R359 for 2
BD3U = R1781 for 2

Difference in 8 Years

CK6P = 118% increase @ an average of 14.75% per year.
BD3U = 120% increase @ an average of 15% per year.

I doubt Kruger salaries have grown by the same percentages for those on the ground in the camps and there’s been no maintenance, so……………. :-?

Yes, Kruger is still cheap compared to some other game parks in Africa, however if one looks at inflation which has averaged 5.46% over the same years and salary increases if one is lucky, are more or less around inflation, so it’s no wonder Kruger has become a luxury trip for many.

What’s your opinion -O-

RobertT

Re: Kruger Accommodation Rates

Post by RobertT »

It is one of the reasons I have gone back to camping, the chalets are no longer value for money for me. Add a kid, and wildcard which also increases above inflation. Camping cost is 20% of chalets, so you can stay there for 5 nights compared to 1 night.

graham

Post by graham »

A better comparison is

CK6P R359
EH3 R757 (R200 extra gets you basic accommodation plus aircon and fridge)
BD3 R1504 (R750 extra adds own kitchen and ablutions)
BD3U R1781 (R275 more adds river frontage)

So fairer to say you can camp for two nights as opposed to one night in an EH3 hut at Lower Sabie.

I have always thought that accommodation in Kruger is overpriced. On the other hand I think the conservation fees (and wild card) should be substantially higher.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

arks kept some good records here:

arks wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 am I don't think 100% is far wrong. I've kept track of what I've paid for SANParks accomodation over the years and can give just a few examples:

Tamboti LST3
2008 R625
2014 R1145

Punda Maria ST2
2008 R500
2014 R975

Equally telling perhaps is the difference in costs for stays of 14 nights in 2008 and 2014:

2008 R8715 (Tamboti LST3 R625x5; Shimuwini GD4 R840x3; Mopani BD4 R535x2; Punda Maria ST2 R500x4)
2014 R16590 (Skukuza LR2W R1570x2; Tamboti LST3 R1145x4; Olifants BBD2V R1265x3; Sirheni CO4D R1075x2; Punda Maria ST2 R975x3)

Interesting?

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 8&start=20

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

Very true. Things are even crazier when trying to book a family unit. Not many available but also very expensive

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

graham wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 pm
I have always thought that accommodation in Kruger is overpriced. On the other hand I think the conservation fees (and wild card) should be substantially higher.
Easy to say being a South African. Have a look at what a foreigner pays 0*\

The price is one of the reasons that the last few years I have been staying outside the park, but also space, internet connection etc. as I am never staying for less than a month.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Have Sanparks got up to their promises of refurbishing the accommodations? This year when I stayed for two nights at Shingwedzi it did not look like it, but maybe Sanparks and I have different ideas when it comes to refurbishing O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Alf

Post by Alf »

I think only certain camps get refurbishments and it also happens on African time O**

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
graham

Post by graham »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm
graham wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 pm
Easy to say being a South African. Have a look at what a foreigner pays 0*\

The price is one of the reasons that the last few years I have been staying outside the park, but also space, internet connection etc. as I am never staying for less than a month.
Lisbeth, the difference between "standard" (how nice is that?) conservation fees and the conservation fees for South African residents is
an entirely separate argument but seems to be the norm in Africa.

When a day in Kruger (for a South African) costs less than a movie ticket or entrance to Pretoria Zoo, it does not make sense. I am sure you would prefer to stay in the park if the prices were more reasonable and accommodation properly maintained.

I am not a camper, but looking at rates at other resorts suggests that Kruger is quite reasonable.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Camping is another question. I have no idea how the Sanparks' prices are compared to other places.

If prices were reasonable and the cottages were more comfortable it would certainly be more tempting to stay in the park in order to be able to move around, but I doubt very much that it will ever be the case.

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”