Is it cool to provoke a mock charge ???????

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Toko

Is it cool to provoke a mock charge ???????

Post by Toko »

Toko

Re: Is it cool to provoke a mock charge ???????

Post by Toko »

Is that environmental education by trails guides? 0: 0:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Some guides think it's cool!! :O^

We were on a drive in Rietvlei, and our driver provoked a rhino with a calf to charge us!! :evil:

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

I firmly believe that wild animals are never completely predictable, and thus I feel this is very irresponsible behaviour on the guide's part.

On the other hand, I have had several situations where very experienced guys have predicted animal behaviour with complete accuracy. One of these guys is a good friend of mine.

Good enough to know that he has had a few nasty surprises (he is a ranger though, not a guide)...

My opinion: if a guide who provokes a charge ever uses his rifle to protect his charges, he should be dismissed immediately. And preferably also charged market rate for the animal he destroyed, so that he can dwell on his sins for a long time to come.
Last edited by Peter Connan on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Toko,

From the video it certainly does not look like the guide provoked any action from the elephant. They all stood quietly behind a tree and bushes. I think it is more of the media playing with words, because the behavior of the two guides were very professional and dealt swiftly with a potential dangerous situation on a walking safari. Remember there is no vehicle to retrieve to when encountering an elephant and your only guard is to ensure minimum aggression from an elephant. He most likely told the guess what could happen when the elephant spots them so that they are prepared for it. Deliberately provoking an elephant while on foot will be just as stupid as the drunk guide from Singita lodge that ran up to an elephant. My \O to these two guides.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

In this case, I agree with BJ. The guides did the only thing they could do in the situation...keep quiet and still. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja...don't see any provoking? :-?

The ellie would have been well aware of them before they were of him! \O ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

Bushveld Jock wrote:Hi Toko,

........... I think it is more of the media playing with words, because .
I tend to agree with this . Maybe the correct context is " if we are lucky , it will only mock charge us ( instead of trampling us to death :shock: ).

Enough is enough

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”