Addo - Peter Betts' weekly day trips into Addo *

Peter Betts

Addo - Peter Betts' weekly day trips into Addo *

Post by Peter Betts »

On Thursday I went through Addo to see a Kirkwood customer. I had to as the Motherwell road is very potholed.

Saw this bloke en route

I really hate these East Cape Toll Roads -O

Peter Betts

Re: Addo - Peter Betts' weekly day trips into Addo

Post by Peter Betts »

Today on my way to Kirkwood I found this guy called Valli Moosa on a quiet loop before the sun was up. He comes from Kruger and is seldom seen..My best EVER Addo ellie pic. The biggest Bull at Addo

Camera..Nikon D3S
Lens 70-200 f2.8 VRII @175mm F4
Distance : 15 metres FX Full Frame Uncropped
Matrix Metering , Manual Mode, 1/400th sec
ISO 900

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I felt the presence of the Almighty on top of this high hill with lovely soft light filtering through the mist and one of His masterpieces there to share it with me. Confirmation of the beauty of creation

LETS PROTECT OUR WILD PLACES HE CREATED FOR US FOR SPIRITUAL HEALING = NO HOTELS ETC

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The 2 Male lions that Gina recently raised have now left her and are managing perfectly on their own in the South. I picked them up in the road on my own on the high point of Nguble Loop last Friday

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

They are quite stroppy these 2 and last month on Facebook there was a lovely sequence of this guy getting up and running at a Polo with 2 tourist in complete with with windows up and aircon on etc and he swotted the car. I eventually eased past this one with just hanbrake off and engine off to go to the second lion 50 metres down the road who looked far more awake after their nights hunting and would therefore give better pics. I had to rest my lens on the wing mirror and so had to lean out a bit to get this right 'But it was quite safe as the sleepy lion 50 metres up the road behind me just wanted to sleep not so?' WRONG he was at my elbow abouta meter away in total silence a minute later... I felt sick and thought I was going to go the same way as my mate John Varty!! He smelt my car and lay down. 5 mins later I left as I hada business meeting in Kirkwood and they both chased me at 35-40 kms per hour for about 100 metres...stroppy guys !!! be careful out there we havent heard the last of these guys

Portrait with a 500 lens...Note the left eye out of focus and the right eye in focus (Depth of field is nothing with that lens close up!!) and the flies on him..all that dried blood

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I'll sure believe that!

I posted this a while ago on the other thread, but you probably didn't see it, Peter?
Mel wrote:
Peter Betts wrote:They are all over the Eastern Cape and lots are found in the Alex Forest area..Seen stacks at a farm south of Grahamstown and saw 2 in Addo Colchester area last year 2010 at 11h00
After having been to Addo again now, I'd say the honey badgers are extremely elusive there. Having seen 2 at the same time is just stunning! Could you post a pic or two of that sighting? Please?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

One of the 2 young males found in the South now...Look at the blood on his paws and mane and the 3 tiny flies above his nose which my 500 lens resolved at 22 mteres!!

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”