Favourite Camping Spots in Kruger

Information & Discussions on Camping
BluTuna

Re: Favourite Camping Spots in Kruger

Post by BluTuna »

I'm not sure of the temperatures in July as I haven't camped in the KNP at that time of year for a long time. Take your winter woolies, I know you KZNers think that anything below 30C is freezing :twisted:

Noise can be a problem but there is a 21:30 curfew which can be enforced by calling the duty officer who's number is on your permit.

If you want peace and quiet, avoid Skukuza - I've only camped there once but on that occasion our next door neighbour had his DSTV with him O/

Probably the quietest camp south of Olifants is Balule but sometimes the guests in the huts can be noisy, especially if it's a block-booking.

I haven't stayed in Maroela or Croc Bridge for several years but both of these camps host back-packers who can be very noisy. We will be at Croc in October so I'll report back then.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I called Mopane yesterday to secure a nice camping spot at Tzendze next week. I got No 25 because 26 & 22 were unavalable. Does anyone know what this site is like shade-wise? Are there any better ones?

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

25 is ok,..plenty shade though not much shrub!!!

Go for it,...

Heh,.. H.e
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It can get EXTREMELY cold in tents, even the safari ones, in June/July, particularly in camps next to rivers, which most are...

This is good for emergency sharing beds with female campmates, but not much else... 0:

It's better in the North, BC, so why not bite the bullet and go up to Balule/Tzendze/Letaba...latter best option with teenagers?

Out of comfort zone? :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

H. erectus wrote:25 is ok,..plenty shade though not much shrub!!!

Go for it,...
\O
Richprins wrote:It can get EXTREMELY cold in tents, even the safari ones, in June/July, particularly in camps next to rivers, which most are...
When we were camping in the Kgalagadi last year it was zero C or lower almost every night with one extra bracing night at minus six. We were comfortably warm because we had the right gear with us! The Kruger doesn't get anywhere near as cold.

Here are some weather stats.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks all \O

Flutts, the prices are escalating at a rate which isn’t affordable for me, especially since the Cow is no longer working and developments in the extended family department has resulted in an increase in expenditure, hence camping is my only option for 2 trips (or just 1 trip in huts, etc)

I have camped in Kruger for long periods in the 80’s and still remember most of it. We even camped at Olifants in those days. :-? I remember 10 days at Letaba and only cheetah on the cards to create excitement and in 2010 returned and found it to be the same, although it’s a cool camp.

BT, Balule sounds like my cup of tea, as it’s still in the “active” area but I need to decide on a second spot. -O- We have also done the safari tents a number of times (2007 – 2009) at Skukuza and you are correct, things can get out of hand and twice I had to phone the duty manager O/

Tzendze :-? Once again one can battle for sightings and travelling all the way from KZN and only having a limited period to find animals -O- I had a mate last year who went to Kruger the same time as me, but insisted on Tzendze for 4 days and I stayed at Satara for the same 4 days. He had peace and awesome camping, but his kids gave up on sightings and an impala turned into a major event. In desperation he drove all the way down to Satara on the last day and had 3 different lion sightings with us, which made the trip for them and now they will never go back north.

I have probably done a little too many trips to game parks over the last 6 years, so unless a lion is hunting, mating or doing back flips, I stop for a minute and move on, so it’s not a big deal in my life, but it’s still a big deal for kids

How’s the camping at Lower Sabie. It looks very “cramped” :-?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It does look cramped but some seem to love it. If you want the game that's probably where you'll have to go. ;-) What about Croc Bridge....nice small camp? -O-

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Some of the camp sites at LS are quite nice but most of them are demarcated spots which have limited shade. After pitching your tent it can be a challenging to get you car in the spot too. The best thing about LS is the game in the area.

Letaba has to be one of the nicest camps in the park. The camping area is nice and doesn't have the demarcated spots (it does but no-one takes any notice of them). Unfortunately, game spotting in the area is not good due to the thick mopani bush.

Tzendze is another beautiful camp but has the same problem as Letaba - thick mopani bush. The saving grace for this area is the S50 and the Capricorn loop with the Thingylongname water hole - but only at the right time of year. We will be at Tzendze next week, hoping to see some rare antelopes and big tuskers O/\

Shingwedzi is always worth a visit. There are some beautiful drives in the area. The drive down the S50 along the Kanniedood dam and the river is one of my favourite afternoon drives. There's also the Red Rocks drive, the Mphongolo loop and you can always head up to Pafuri (the most beautiful place in the Park) for the day. The camp site at Shing is large, flat and has plenty of shady spots with no demarcations - one of the best kept camp sites in the park.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

BluTuna wrote:The drive down the S50 along the Kanniedood dam and the river is one of my favourite afternoon drives.
Funny....that road has always been dead for us! :-?

But I agree about camping at Shing...lovely site and right next to the pool. \O Why not try it for a night BC, you might be pleasantly surprised. According to a book I have, Shingwedzi is the camp which has the biggest variety of game around it. \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

If I went north it would be Shingwedzi Flutts \O Been up there for the day only, so need to learn the area :-?

Return to “Camping”